• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Eyefinity question

Intel_Hydralisk

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 6, 2005
Messages
4,743
Simple question: Can eyefinity work with monitors that are running at different resolutions?

The reason I ask this is that I currently don't have 3 matching monitors but I do have a 22" with two 19" monitors lying around. I wasn't even considering eyefinity originally but it'd be cool to play around with it.

My 5870 won't get here till later today... and either way I'd have to buy an adapter to get all 3 hooked up. Just wanted to double check before putting forth the (admittedly low) effort.
 
This is how Eyefinity works, you get three resolutions a multiple of 800x600, 1280x1024, and maximum resolution. Lets assume you have three panels in a 3x1 setup as follows:

[ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ]

1 - 22" 1680x1050
2 - 24" 1920x1200
3 - 22" 1680x1050

Your three Eyefinity resolutions available to you will be:

2400x600, 3840x1024, 5040x1050

Notice that your maximum Eyefinity resolution is 5040x1050 which is 1680*3 x 1050, so Eyefinity will take the lowest maximum resolution from the group and use that as the limit.

However, you can still do your traditional extended desktop and have three panel support at their maximum resolution.

Hope that helps :)
 
Last edited:
Hmm Yes that makes sense. The two 19's are 1280x1024 which is unfortunate. It's almost perfect in terms of height (the screens are almost aligned on the top and bottom)... but running my 22" at 1280x1024 to match the 19's might be awkward. Oh well, if radioshack or bestbuy has a cheap displayport adapter I might still try it out.
 
Hmm Yes that makes sense. The two 19's are 1280x1024 which is unfortunate. It's almost perfect in terms of height (the screens are almost aligned on the top and bottom)... but running my 22" at 1280x1024 to match the 19's might be awkward. Oh well, if radioshack or bestbuy has a cheap displayport adapter I might still try it out.

I just edited my post for clarity LOL, maybe you read my original one :p

But yeah, if you use your 22" in the middle and it's running at 1280x1024, you will experience a stretch since it's not native.
 
Brand new Dells have display port so I can't wait till tax time next year. I can't begin to tell you how long I've waiting for a video card that can make use of 3 (or more) monitors and span the desktop across them. The bar in the middle of two monitors has always driven me nuts. Now there is actually a monitor in the middle. Huzzah!
 
Back
Top