Eyefinity Problem

Zabuzaxsta

n00b
So here's how everything is set up:

HD 7970
Three Dell AW2310 Monitors

One monitor (the main one) hooked up to DVI - mini DP via apple's active converter for single link DVI
Second monitor hooked up to HDMI straight up
Third monitor hooked up to DVI

Now, I know this setup will not get me 120hz refresh rate and I'm fine with that for the moment. Additionally, I'm aware that even though I'm using dual-link cables, have a dual-link graphics card, and dual-link monitors, the only one that is benefitting from this is the monitor hooked up over DVI (again, it's the single-link converter, so what's coming out of mini DP is just single-link DVI).

When I go into catalyst, it shows all three monitors, but the DVI one is disabled. What gives? I've got the main one hooked up over mini DP (as I need at least one hooked up through some sort of DP), the second over HDMI, and the third over DVI...I don't get why it's set to disabled. Will the DVI monitor not receive signal because it is over dual link whereas the others are over single link (basically)? That's the only thing I can think of, but that doesn't seem right.

Yeah, just changed the settings a bit...Basically, I can extend to either of the two monitors, but not the third. An interesting thing I noted just now is that the one that is hooked up via mini DP converter shows up in the catalyst control center as being a DVI monitor...dunno why that would be, but it seems as though that might be the problem (if the control center thinks its a legacy monitor, third displays would be disabled).

I checked everywhere, though, and Apple's mini DP -> single link DVI converters are supposed to be active...

An interesting thing I noted just now is that the one that is hooked up via mini DP converter shows up in the catalyst control center as being a DVI monitor...dunno why that would be, but it seems as though that might be the problem
There's your problem. The DisplayPort to DVI adapter you're using isn't active.

Any monitor on an active DisplayPort to DVI adapter will be listed as a DisplayPort monitor in Catalyst Control Center.

Unknown is correct. That mini-dp to DVI display is behaving like a legacy device. Grab one of the accell converters.

Arrrggghhh...The apple website specifically states that those adapters are ACTIVE! What BS. Maybe it has to do with the fact that it's attached to a dual-link cable? You think if I attached the monitor to the converter via a single-link cable it would become active?

At this point, it's either go get a single-link cable and try hooking that up to the converter that is listed all over the web as being active (hoping that the problem was the dual-link cable connected to a single-link converter, i.e. a longshot), or go ahead and buy the mini DP -> dual link DVI converters I was going to buy in the future anyhow. I just wanted to run on 60hz (i.e. single-link DVI) for a while because I don't have $200 bucks to blow on converters.

I think it's fairly clear that an active adapter is running as a passive one, but the question is why. I could circumvent all of this by just upgrading to my 120hz setup, but I don't feel like dropping 200 bucks on the necessary converters. Can anyone advise me as to how to solve this problem? If I just go get a different active converter, it seems as though it would lead to the same problem.

Link to product you're using. I extremely doubt it's active. The dl-dvi has nothing to do with it. As far as I know, more than 2 displays off of a video card on apple os doesn't work so they have no need to produce an active single link adapter.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3382#9

Under number 4, the middle picture is a picture of the one I am using.

Under number 9, the FAQ clearly states "The Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI and Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapters are active adapters."

Given that they always refer to the other DVI adapter as the "Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter," it's quite clear that the one they are talking about under #9 is not only the one I have (as we know from the pic) but is also active.

If you search around it seems people are having issues with the apple adapter :S

While this is true, the problems have been with Apple's mini DP -> dual link DVI adapter, not the single link version. The single link version has high reviews on every store website I can find, and there is no mention of issues anywhere on the web.

I don't know why you though we were talking about that dual link adapter of theirs; yeah, it's a P.O.S. and I'm not going to buy it.

Last edited:
Just read the faq and they have a lot of things mixed up. Thetes a section which says the dual link adapter is passive. What I've gathered is that there is active and passive version of their adapters and you have a passive one.

Starting to go a bit crazy here...driving all around Miami, without an active converter in sight. Decided to use the list found on the amd eyefinity page of active single link adapters...best buy, tiger direct and radio shack no dice. Think I could find one at HHGregg or Brandsmart?

Can't find this in any store - not at CompUSA, Circuit City, TigerDirect, HHGregg, Brandsmart, Best Buy, or Radio Shack. The guys at Radio Shack didn't even know what displayport was; he kept telling me I needed to tell him what kind of display connection I needed whenever I mentioned it.

Someone please tell me where I can buy this in my area, I really don't want to have to order them online and wait a week to use these three gorgeous monitors.

Back