• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Eyefinity plus 3d

Boostage

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
327
I have seen nvidia's 3d Vision and a local Compusa kiosk and I was very impressed, however Im sure I want an AMD card because I want to try Eyefinity. so I have a few questions:

Are 120hz mons a must like Nvidia?
What Glasses do I need? or does that depend on the refresh rate of the mon?
Does it matter if the monitors have 900 vs1080 vs1200 vertical lines?
 
Here's a link to an interview from this thread.

To answer your questions specifically,
Are 120hz mons a must like Nvidia? You need to look for monitors/displays that officially support HDMI 1.4 or DisplayPort 1.2. That means the display has to have some means of unpacking and displaying the following stereoscopic formats: field alternative (interlaced), frame packing (a full resolution top-bottom format), line alternative full, side-by-side half, side-by-side full, 2D + depth, and 2D + depth + graphics + graphics depth (WOWvx), etc. I'm almost certain that requires 120Hz refresh rate but I might be wrong.
What Glasses do I need? or does that depend on the refresh rate of the mon? You'll probably either get your glasses from the same manufacturer that made your display or possibly a compatible 3rd party. edit: It may be possible to buy glasses that specifically mention compatibility with Open3D that sync via USB to software rather than to the display.
Does it matter if the monitors have 900 vs1080 vs1200 vertical lines? HDMI 1.4 only supports stereoscopic content at 720p and 1080p. DisplayPort doesn't have the same limitations, as far as I can tell.

As far as I know there are no computer monitors currently available on the market that would be suitable for ATI's Open3D program. There are a variety of HDTVs already available, though.

If stereoscopic 3d is something that is very important to you, I would recommend waiting before buying anything until more products are available. If you need 3D right now Nvidia's solution is much more mature, albeit expensive and proprietary.

- as an aside: I really can't wait for DisplayPort to start showing up in more displays. It's a much better format/connector than DVI in so many ways, but I worry it will die from lack of adoption by the display manufacturers. It's not like it's an expensive add-on...
 
Last edited:
- as an aside: I really can't wait for DisplayPort to start showing up in more displays. It's a much better format/connector than DVI in so many ways, but I worry it will die from lack of adoption by the display manufacturers. It's not like it's an expensive add-on...

I doubt that's going to happen. Displayport is completely royalty free and has the support of every IHV that matters. I believe in the next year most monitors(except very low end) will drop the DVI connection and stick with DP and HDMI and videocards will come with adapters that go from those two to DVI for people already with monitors.
 
How many people actually run games in 3d right now.
Not that many.
Maybe ATI is waiting for prices to drop. Maybe they will release something if 120hz becomes standard.

It cost way too much and i think you'll need atleast gtx480 sli to run 3d surround with playable framerate.
 
What do you think is driving the prices so high, dorky? Any specifics?

I think 120Hz refresh probably isn't that hard to implement, at least on screens with low pixel response times (ie any TN+film LCD made in the last 5 years should probably work). As for the glasses, the LCD shutters don't seem particularly complex - maybe there's just very limited supply?

As for 120Hz becoming standard... I think that's only (short) a matter of time. Not only can it help improve motion resolution but it also resolves the need for 3:2 pulldown on 24fps content (about damn time). The only con I ever hear with regards to 120Hz displays is MCFI, which should be optional.
 
I have seen nvidia's 3d Vision and a local Compusa kiosk and I was very impressed, however Im sure I want an AMD card because I want to try Eyefinity. so I have a few questions:

Are 120hz mons a must like Nvidia?
What Glasses do I need? or does that depend on the refresh rate of the mon?
Does it matter if the monitors have 900 vs1080 vs1200 vertical lines?

You're better off doing nVidia 3d Surround if you want 3 panels *and* 3d. It's just a more supported option. It supposedly can be done on Eyefinity using iZ3d drivers and Zalman or iZ3d 22" polarized monitors and should be doable using 3d ready DLP projectors. I don't know if it can be done with 120Hz monitors in Eyefinity, I've followed it for a while and never seen someone set that up. Sapphire demo'd a setup with Zalman monitors recently, not many details given but it must require a 5870 E6 card with 4 active DisplayPort adapters since the monitors used don't have DisplayPort.

For what monitors/glasses you can use I'll keep it simple and say you need 120Hz LCD with shutter glasses (nVidia or eDimensional) or polarized monitors like iZ3d/Zalman Trimon with polarized glasses (from iZ3d).

The resolution doesn't matter, 900, 1080 or 1200 lines is just gonna be whatever you can afford/prefer. Kaldskryke posted some info about the HDMI 1.4 but PC users will be using DVI for any of the current 120Hz and polarized monitors anyway, and DLP or dual projectors have low enough bandwidth requirements to get by on HDMI 1.3.

You also need a 3d driver, you have 3 choices: nVidia's 3d Vision, iZ3d's driver, and Tridef's DDD driver.

There's a great white sheet on Cyberlink's page about 3d here btw:
http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/3d-support/enu/3d-whitepaper.pdf
 
Last edited:
Back
Top