Eyefinity on Vega - using three 2005-2010 era Dell DVI monitors?

Jedibeeftrix

Limp Gawd
I've run Eyefinity with three Dell DVI monitors since 2010, originally with a 2GB Sapphire 5870, and since 2012 with a MSI Lightning 7970.

I had to choose carefully in 2012 to get a 7970 that had two DVI ports, as well as a Displayport to use with an ACTIVE dp>dvi converter.

I am now in the market for a Vega (provided it has decent price-performance), as well as a new monitor (preferably an ultrawide with free-sync2/HDR).

My problem is that the monitor i want doesn't exist yet (that silly Samsung doesn't count), so I face the prospect of buying a Vega some six months before the monitor becomes available.

What is the likely situation with Vega and Eyefinity with three DVI monitors?

If I can avoid it, I'd rather not spend £450 on a Vega and then have to game on one 24" 16:10 monitor for six months....

Thanks

Gonna require dp-dvi connectors which most people speak ill of. AMD has been dropping DVI from all its cards. Some after market still have a few but that number has been dwindling.

I've run Eyefinity with three Dell DVI monitors since 2010, originally with a 2GB Sapphire 5870, and since 2012 with a MSI Lightning 7970.

I had to choose carefully in 2012 to get a 7970 that had two DVI ports, as well as a Displayport to use with an ACTIVE dp>dvi converter.

I am now in the market for a Vega (provided it has decent price-performance), as well as a new monitor (preferably an ultrawide with free-sync2/HDR).

My problem is that the monitor i want doesn't exist yet (that silly Samsung doesn't count), so I face the prospect of buying a Vega some six months before the monitor becomes available.

What is the likely situation with Vega and Eyefinity with three DVI monitors?

If I can avoid it, I'd rather not spend £450 on a Vega and then have to game on one 24" 16:10 monitor for six months....

Thanks

As long as it's an active adapter you should be good. Active adapter confirmed with work with Eyefinity per the specs.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12784

That $10 monoprice adapter is claiming to support DL--DVI for 2560x1600x60hz. Is that actually correct, the price seems too good to be true.

EDIT: Answering my own question, according to one of the reviews its a single link adapter that can support 2560x1600x60hz using an optional double clock rate mode to push the data over a single link; that was supported by a handful of late model DVI monitors. (I'm presuming this list is approximately equivalent to the ones that supported the same resolution over a single HDMI link.)

Last edited:
You didn't say what res they are but I run 2 2008 24in dells and a 2010 24in Dell on my RX 480, all are 1920x1200. One uses DP and for the other two I got cheap DP to DVI cables off amazon and haven't had an issue

Back