Eyefinity on Crossfire, do you need to use displayport?

Tudz

Supreme [H]ardness
G'day all,

A friend was telling me that in a recent driver update ATI enabled the ability to use 3x DVI/HDMI/VGA ports across 2x cards in Crossfire, meaning a crossfire set up wouldn't need any display port -> DVI adapters. Is this true, or was he just making crap up? I can't find anything on the interwebs to support what he was saying.

Cheers,
Tudz

Last time I read that was no, You still need to use the display port even in CFX. Now this was about a month ago, so maybe things have changed.

I also never heard of an update allowing that. It should still require a DisplayPort.

No, in crossfire there's always a master and slave. all output is handled on the primary card with workload handed off the the secondary card for processing. This will most likely never change as it's the way the architecture is built. Not in drivers.

Also this needs to be sticked.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks guys. We were trying to figure out the best upgrade path for him and that'll change things a bit.

yes you must use a displayport
the hdmi is always paired with one of the dvi, so you can only use either or
Luckily for resolutions up to 1200p you can use passive adapters, they go for around $20 meaning if you are setting up eyeinfinity with monitors of a 1200p native res (usually 24" or smaller) you can use a displayport to vga, or displayport to dvi-s adapter and not spend $100 for active display port

yes you must use a displayport
the hdmi is always paired with one of the dvi, so you can only use either or
Luckily for resolutions up to 1200p you can use passive adapters, they go for around $20 meaning if you are setting up eyeinfinity with monitors of a 1200p native res (usually 24" or smaller) you can use a displayport to vga, or displayport to dvi-s adapter and not spend $100 for active display port

this comment does not make sense...

you must use a displayport for the THIRD monitor... to convert to DVI/HDMI/VGA from that, you always need an active adapter... active DP->VGA = $20, active DP->single link DVI = $30, active DP->dual link DVI = $80

for the first two monitors, you can use HDMI+DVI(all digital), HDMI+VGA, DVI+VGA...

Also, if you are doing anything above 60MHz with Eyefinity, then you def need to use an active display port.

Back