Eyefinity Monitor Selection Question

FranklyShankly

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, I am posting this here instead of the display section because more people here will likely have Eyefinity experience.

I am trying to set up Eyefinity without breaking the bank. I've got a line on a couple of Samsung 2343BWX (TN panels, 2048x1152 native res) monitors for cheap (I used one of these previously and liked it).

For a 3rd monitor, I could get another one of these and a DP/DVI adapter, or for about the same price I could get the NEC EA231WMi (IPS panel, 1080p with native DP). My question is this, would the TN panels on the sides (set down to 1080 res) look too far off the color quality of a center IPS to ruin the experience so to speak?

Edit: Another option: the Dell P2310H (TN panel with DP for about 100 less than the NEC) for the center monitor

Last edited:
You're side monitors will likely be the ones where a good viewing angle is more important. I would definitely go with 3 IPS panels. That would also allow you to do portrait (TN can't).

Do you currently have a center monitor you want to use? I would just go with two more of those if you do for the sides...

Hey guys, I am posting this here instead of the display section because more people here will likely have Eyefinity experience.

I am trying to set up Eyefinity without breaking the bank. I've got a line on a couple of Samsung 2343BWX (TN panels, 2048x1152 native res) monitors for cheap (I used one of these previously and liked it).

For a 3rd monitor, I could get another one of these and a DP/DVI adapter, or for about the same price I could get the NEC EA231WMi (IPS panel, 1080p with native DP). My question is this, would the TN panels on the sides (set down to 1080 res) look too far off the color quality of a center IPS to ruin the experience so to speak?

Edit: Another option: the Dell P2310H (TN panel with DP for about 100 less than the NEC) for the center monitor

You could probably get away with it, even though your two side 2343BWX will be running in non-native 1920x1080 (which is usually not a good idea) but seeing how they'll be in your peripheral vision, it'll probably work.

I've got three of these Samsung 2343BWX, one of the better TN panels, and I have no issues with viewing angles, even in the extreme left and right portions, as long as I keep them in landscape. Downside with TN is you'll get poor results in portrait mode, but hey, they're $200 a piece right?

Last edited:
You could probably get away with it, even though your two side 2343BWX will be running in non-native 1920x1080 (which is usually not a good idea) but seeing how they'll be in your peripheral vision, it'll probably work.

I've got three of these Samsung 2343BWX, one of the better TN panels, and I have no issues with viewing angles, even in the extreme left and right portions, as long as I keep them in landscape. Downside with TN is you'll get poor results in portrait mode, but hey, they're $200 a piece right?

Yeah I am reticent to lose the resolution, but the money makes it a hard choice.

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

Back