Eyefinity desk size help.

Ericks89

n00b
I'm currently upgrading my system and pretty much want everything on a single surface so was looking at either just building a desk from scratch using high quality wood or just mod and hack ikea pieces for something awesome.

I'm looking to either do eyefinity 5x1 or 3x2 but leaning towards 5x1 (as it saves me $500...) so the width bothers me as the case I'm getting is rather large so I can have multiple radiators for water cooling my hardware.

The size of the monitors will be 24" in portrait mode.

This is the setup I currently have, disregard the mess as it's usually never this messy and I usually have some 3x monitor setup but at the moment I've just been programming and doing office work so just have 1 monitor setup at the moment. love the samsung s970 series but you can never align them perfectly... one always seems taller or smaller than one another..

So I'm guessing I need at least around 50-55" in width but 72" if I'm going with a 3x2 setup which I may always go back and forth between so I need that option.

I'm not really looking for an L shaped desk because my bed(which my dog keeps messing up...) is right behind the desk and there isn't much room, but with ikea I can always add that option when I actually move in the next few years, actually saving for a down payment on a house so really being cheap and living with the folks.

2n8vp0z.png

If you are going 5x24 1080p portrait you'll need about 66 inches of desk space to set them up (unless you curve them in slightly), depending on bezel size. If you are going 5x24 1200p then you'll need 72 inches as I found out the hard way:

IMG_0260 by rtangwai, on Flickr

If you're going to Ikea anyway, might I suggest the Numerar butcher block countertop desk hack? It's 1-1/2" of solid wood, available in 3 sizes (25x74, 25x96, 39x74) and 3 wood types (Beech, Birch, Oak). I just built 20' of 25" deep desk, with 5 drawer units, for $805 with tax plus a few dollars in finishing supplies. A 39x74 desk could be build with two drawer units for $359 plus finishing supplies, or with 4 legs (or 2 trundles) instead for $259.

Here's what mine looks like, but there's plenty of others on the web if you Google up "Numerar Desk".

Edit: Note that my setup is entirely modular, as nothing is screwed down, but super solid as set up. No rock or sway at all. I chose the cabinets (Vika Alex Drawers) from the "Table Bar System" shown here, as all items in that category at exactly the same height (27.5") and can be swapped out for each other at will. I also retain the option of actually re-using them in a kitchen some day, since they are countertops after all.

Yup. Pragal's nice. But it's laminate. Expect for it to start to wear through after a few years, at which point you can flip it.

Back