• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Eyefinity + Crossfire

Mayenard

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 22, 2010
Messages
182
I just picked up a second 5850. When I crossfire, my grouping disables and the option to create a group is no longer there. Once I disable crossfire I am able to create a group again. I can only crossfire OR have an eyefinity group. I can't do both. I've tried 9.1, 9.12, 10.1, and 10.2 with the same results. I used Driver Sweeper each time I removed a driver. I've reinstalled windows, just the chipset drivers, and then tried loading 10.2 with the same results. I've switched the monitors from one card to the other with the same results. I ran eyefinity without a problem for 3 months before I picked up the second 5850. My next and final attempt at resolving this is finding my other crossfire bridge and trying that to see if maybe the bridge i'm using is faulty. Once I've tried that and if the results remain the same, I will return the second 5850. I hope it doesn't come down to this.
 
I'm not sure about 10.2, but I think thats the only one (without a hotfix) of the ones you listed that should actually support eyefinity on CrossfireX. Go download the new 10.3a preview drivers and give that a try.
 
I tried 10.3a and got the same results. Are you saying there isn't anyone who has been able to run eyefinity + crossfire with 5850's?
 
Last edited:
I tried 10.3a and got the same results. Are you saying there isn't anyone who has been able to run eyefinity + crossfire on the 5850?

no what he said is you should be running 10.2 or higher drivers to get eyefinity with crossfire. drivers before that only had eyefinity working.
 
Ya, I've tried the 9.12 hotfix, 10.1, 10.2, and the 10.3a beta using driver sweeper after each uninstall. I called ati tech support and the only suggestion they had was swapping xfire bridges. Maybe the one in there now is faulty? I'll look for the other bridge and try that.
 
Try switching the cards in the PCIe slots and reinstalling drivers with just one card. I know my mobo does some kookie stuff like you're describing when I add another card.
 
Try switching the cards in the PCIe slots and reinstalling drivers with just one card. I know my mobo does some kookie stuff like you're describing when I add another card.

Someone else suggested something like this for the same reasons. I did remove my second 5850, installed the drivers, and setup my eyefinity group with only the one card installed. I then installed the second 5850 hoping it would just automatically xfire the group. I got the same result. I haven't tried swapping PCIe slots yet. The retail card sitting on higher(bus0) slot is 3/4 " longer than the one sitting on the lower PCIe(bus1). It'll be a real pain switching these cards around in my antec 1200 chasis, but i'll try that after trying a different xfire bridge.
 
What monitors are you using?

I'm using (3) 22" LG W2242TQ's with a 2 ms response time. I've had these monitors running a res of 5040 X 1050 for about 3 months without a single problem.
 
Last edited:
Tried a different xfire bridge, reset my bios, and only able to crossfire a single display. I can't really switch PCIe slots with the cards. I don't have the room. I'm returning the second 5850.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
 
Just spoke to a tech at ati who said this problem should have been taken care of with 10.3. Good to know I'm not the first to experience this issue. I have 10.3a installed atm and still nada. hardeeharharpoop.
 
I had it running with xfire 5850s, but had 2 xfire bridges installed as well.
 
I gave 2 bridges a shot but still the same result. It's a driver issue with me. Just something about my particular configuration that's conflicting I think. I could wait until a driver that works is released, but I would rather just upgrade to 5970 eventually and return this 5850 for now. Thanks for the responses everyone.
 
Where can you pick up additional bridges? I just ordered my new setup and am getting 2 XFX 5870s, do the cards or the motherboards come with Xfire bridges? (I know SLI bridges come with mobo, didnt know if it same with xfire boards)
 
Someone else suggested something like this for the same reasons. I did remove my second 5850, installed the drivers, and setup my eyefinity group with only the one card installed. I then installed the second 5850 hoping it would just automatically xfire the group. I got the same result. I haven't tried swapping PCIe slots yet. The retail card sitting on higher(bus0) slot is 3/4 " longer than the one sitting on the lower PCIe(bus1). It'll be a real pain switching these cards around in my antec 1200 chasis, but i'll try that after trying a different xfire bridge.

ok first of all what motherboard and bios are u using??

second.....and this may be a dumb question....are you positive both cards are the same?? ive never heard of 2 cards of the same make being different lengths. sounds odd to me.
so brand, model and part number if possible of both cards.
i doubt its the bridge.
could be possible that if the 2 cards are different brands they may not like each other?
 
Both cards are made by Sapphire. The one that is retail is a bit longer, but both cards are 5850's with 1GB of RAM. You're right, it isn't the bridge. I suppose it could be possible the 2 cards don't like each other. A tech over at ATI had seen my issue before, but thought it was corrected with 10.2.

Hardware:
MSI P45 Diamond Edition motherboard
Intel Core II Quad 2.83 GHz
8 GB Kingston Xtreme @ 1666 MHz DDR3 RAM
ATI 5850 by Sapphire
Creative X-Fi sound
36 GB Raptors stripped (OS)
ThermaltakeTR 1200W power supply
Liquid Cooled by a Thermaltake Bigwater 760is
in an Antec 1200 chassis
Three 22" LG LCD's w/ 2ms response time
grouped with the Sapphire DP adapter
 
I had 2 X Sapphire 5850 in crossfire + eyeinfity running on my Gigabyte EX58-UD5 with the 10.3 beta drivers for Windows 7 64bit.
 
Just as an FYI, using more than one crossfire bridge does absolutely NOTHING. (Beyond looking quite nice)

It's a placebo :p
 
Back
Top