Eyefinity + Crossfire + Vsync = does not compute!

Finkus

Gawd
So some games are clearly framerate limiting at 60 with this combo and there is definitely a massive improvement in tearing but it still looks like something that doesn't have vsync enabled. Dirt2 is an example. 60 fps and very reduced tearing but FMV tears horribly and 3D still seems to have some tearing, particularly on the side displays.

Source games don't work at all. No vsync whatsoever with Cross-finity. L4D2, TF2 and Portal all have huge framerates and bad tearing. Also the stutter (not microstutter) in Crossfinity on Source in unplayable.

Bad Company 2 also has bad tearing and no vsync seems to be happening. Framerates in the 80s feel like 20-30 with no vysnc. Loving Eyefinity but hating the tearing. :(

Is it a case of waiting for crossfire profiles to come out or is there some forced vsync program that work for Crossfinity? I hear D3D override doesn't work.

I force vsync off for FPSes. It causes video lag and causes the framerate to droop to fractions of the max fps (60, 30, 15, 7, 3...).

Edit: Crossfire + eyefinity only works with certian games ATM. Use GPU-Z to check the GPU load per core.

I force vsync off for FPSes. It causes video lag and causes the framerate to droop to fractions of the max fps (60, 30, 15, 7, 3...).

Eh, it doesn't reduce by fractions, maybe in a perfectly average math model but real rendering is sporadic FPS so it neatly breaks up any sort of pattern to rendering that would end up going in halves due to missing the refresh time so precisely.

Eh, it doesn't reduce by fractions, maybe in a perfectly average math model but real rendering is sporadic FPS so it neatly breaks up any sort of pattern to rendering that would end up going in halves due to missing the refresh time so precisely.

No it does... The difference is that most people also enable triple-buffering, which means that if you can't maintain 60fps for example it will only kick it down to 45fps instead of 30fps which would be the case without triple-buffering.

I don't have a 5xxx card but my experience with Crossfire and VSync has been a mixed bag. In many cases it seems more fluid with VSync off.

No it does... The difference is that most people also enable triple-buffering, which means that if you can't maintain 60fps for example it will only kick it down to 45fps instead of 30fps which would be the case without triple-buffering.

I don't have a 5xxx card but my experience with Crossfire and VSync has been a mixed bag. In many cases it seems more fluid with VSync off.

How do you figure? If, in a 1 second period, it gets lucky and nails every vsync refresh at 60 fps except the last one because a grenade went off it'd be at 59 fps (skip a refresh).. the refresh is a frame by frame basis entirely dependent on how long it took that frame to render and if it got done in time for the vsync. It's not magically going to drop half its frames because 1 frame was slow to finish.

BC2 does have terrible scren tearing without vsync. I run it with vsync on but its just a single display

BC2 does have terrible scren tearing without vsync. I run it with vsync on but its just a single display

I had to switch to single screen for an hour the other day (partner was doing the shopping on the mac mini, which shares my right hand screen... sigh) so I got to see BC2 all silky smooth with vsync on, at a constant 60fps. It was a thing of beauty.

I love my Eyefinity but I also love my glassy smooth, consistent 60fps gaming with no tearing. Sort it out ATI!! :mad:

K, managed to get vsync working with bc2 and eyefinity by disabling cat ai in ccc.
not a perfect fix but works for the moment till ati sort this, but not holdiing my breath as ati have had vsync issues since they first started making vid cards and i doubt they are going to start listening now

If you disable Cat AI, you lose CrossfireX in this graphically demanding game. It takes both my 5870's to get decent framerates in 5760x1200, but without Vsync the tearing and jerking is just awful.

ATI - you really really need to fix this.

How do you figure? If, in a 1 second period, it gets lucky and nails every vsync refresh at 60 fps except the last one because a grenade went off it'd be at 59 fps (skip a refresh).. the refresh is a frame by frame basis entirely dependent on how long it took that frame to render and if it got done in time for the vsync. It's not magically going to drop half its frames because 1 frame was slow to finish.

Because your current FPS drops to 30. It may average out to something in the 50s over a span of time, but to your eyes its 60, 60, 60, 30, 30, 60, 60, 60. And those sudden drops are *extremely* noticeable.

so this is still broken in most games? I was about to get another 5870 but maybe I will wait... does it behave better with a 5970 by any chance? I was playing with the idea of getting one of those and selling the 5870... having a single card solution appeals to me more because my mobo will go into 8x16x mode for CF since I have two other pci-e devices plugged in..

as far as I'm aware, V-sync with CrossFireX+Eyefinity doesn't work right, fps is capped at 120 when it should be 60(asuming you're using 60 Hrz monitors). This has been the case since Catalyst 9.12 hotfix.

V-sync still gives tearing and frames are being delayed/synced that don't need to be for 60 Hrz monitors resulting in some kind of stutter when things should be smooth. The only fix is to disable Catalyst A.I. and you'll have v-sync cap at right fps cap but you'll lose the benefit of CrossFireX performance.

ugh well... I guess I will save my $ for now... I can play most games with acceptable fps and IQ but it would be nice to increase some IQ settings in some games... I am still amazed at how well my one 5870 does at 5760x1080..

Back