• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Eyefinity + BFBC2

It's not the game. I can play with a single screen without a crash for 2-4 hours. If I turn on Eyefinity, I crash about 2-3 times an hour.

...

Yes, I haven't experienced any other crashes in any other games. However I'm only interested in playing BC2 and have primarily been focused on trying to resolve the Eyefinity issues with that game.

So it IS the game then? I understand that you are only interested in BFBC2, but when you start blaming the hardware for a software problem (that seems pretty popular with many others) and then bashing the technology...

That being said, I have had some of the same issues, but only in BFBC2. Probably something on EA's end.
 
So it IS the game then? I understand that you are only interested in BFBC2, but when you start blaming the hardware for a software problem (that seems pretty popular with many others) and then bashing the technology...

That being said, I have had some of the same issues, but only in BFBC2. Probably something on EA's end.

All I'm saying is I'm very time limited and don't have the time to test every game to the same extend I'm testing BC2. So perhaps if I could find the time I could test other games and see how it behaves. From the little bit I have tried in other games, I didn't get a crash.

All I know is without Eyefinity, the game is fine. With it, it crashes.

Could it be a problem with BC2 itself. Of course. But I don't know how to determine that 100%. I'm hoping the new patch coming on Wednesday some how indirectly fixes whatever the issue is.
 
Alright, try this. Close all third party software including antivirus, afterburner, amd oc tool, etc... Go to properties on bc2 and run as administrator. Something on your system is bugging the game down. Also you can try to delete the pb folder in bc2 and reinstall pb.

I don't have much for 3rd party software running. I'll try disabling Microsoft Security Essentials and look for whatever there maybe, but I don't think there's much really.

And I've tried running the game in both Administrator and without already. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Take out 8gb of memory and try again. If fails, take out 2 more.

I can try this (I'll add it to my list of things to try). Can you give your reasoning behind why you think I should try this? I've already run Memtest86+ 4.0 on the memory and it passes without issue.

Thanks for the suggestion.
 
Another thing you could try is underclocking the video card memory and/or GPU see if that helps the mysterious problem. Hopefully Wednesday's patch is enough though.
 
Uh oh...I just ordered the other two monitors for Eyefinity... :(

I should be getting them within the next few days, so I'll let you know if I have the same problem. Hopefully you will have it fixed by then though. :)

So curious question...Does it crash when you are playing with two monitors on?

Also, are you using an Active Display Port adapter? If you are, is it getting too hot? I doubt that would make it crash, however.

Or, are you attempting Eyefinity with a passive adapter?

Sorry if you've already been asked! ;)
 
Last edited:
I can try this (I'll add it to my list of things to try). Can you give your reasoning behind why you think I should try this? I've already run Memtest86+ 4.0 on the memory and it passes without issue.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I never get to sleep. The "finish what I have started" bug rides me. :p

Many motherboards experience memory issues when installed over 4GB of memory, some when over 2GB. There is an increased powerdraw they don't compensate with and some motherboards are even unable to run with all banks full.

My motherboard (ASUS P5Q) have a factory flaw, where it overvolts memory by 0.8, so I need to compensate to get the proper voltage.

Even though your memory shows full pass at memtest, it doesn't mean that there cannot be a voltage problem that relates to your crashes.Its worth to try, since you have 12GB of memory. :)
 
Uh oh...I just ordered the other two monitors for Eyefinity... :(

I should be getting them within the next few days, so I'll let you know if I have the same problem. Hopefully you will have it fixed by then though. :)

So curious question...Does it crash when you are playing with two monitors on?

Also, are you using an Active Display Port adapter? If you are, is it getting too hot? I doubt that would make it crash, however.

Or, are you attempting Eyefinity with a passive adapter?

Sorry if you've already been asked! ;)

No it doesn't crash when all the monitors are on, but only using a single one to game on. It only crashes when I am in Eyefinity (single large desktop, monitor group) mode. I am not using a DisplayPort adapter of any kind. The monitors I purchased have native DisplayPort.

I never get to sleep. The "finish what I have started" bug rides me. :p

Many motherboards experience memory issues when installed over 4GB of memory, some when over 2GB. There is an increased powerdraw they don't compensate with and some motherboards are even unable to run with all banks full.

My motherboard (ASUS P5Q) have a factory flaw, where it overvolts memory by 0.8, so I need to compensate to get the proper voltage.

Even though your memory shows full pass at memtest, it doesn't mean that there cannot be a voltage problem that relates to your crashes.Its worth to try, since you have 12GB of memory. :)

Hmmm... I wasn't aware of that. I'll attempt to rule that out when I find time. I'm still going through some other stability testing and suggestions from others.

Thanks for the insight. I hope though that it doesn't apply as I really want to run the full 12GB. Also, if I run less than 6GB, I'll lose triple-channel memory support. But still I test to at the very least rule it out.

Thanks again.
 
OP, I feel sorry for you. I know what it's like to have a system that should be stable and isn't. I've been the victim of a bad motherboard and a bad PSU in two different systems. I put the blame on everything from drivers to the OS to anything else because my games were crashing.

Could you test Crysis in Eyefinity for a while and see if you get the same crashing. Then you could determine if it's BC2 causing your issues. You could work from there.
 
OP, I feel sorry for you. I know what it's like to have a system that should be stable and isn't. I've been the victim of a bad motherboard and a bad PSU in two different systems. I put the blame on everything from drivers to the OS to anything else because my games were crashing.

Could you test Crysis in Eyefinity for a while and see if you get the same crashing. Then you could determine if it's BC2 causing your issues. You could work from there.

I'll have to install the game first. But yes, I could test that game.
 
I tried Crysis and Half Life 2 last night. I didn't see any issues in either game.

I started up World in Conflict also (but not in Eyefinity, couldn't get it to work). I did see some artifacting in that game. I'm going to test each card alone in that game tonight to see if one card is causing the issue.
 
I'm not running eyefinity, but I have noticed this quirk with the game:

If I play any other game before I play BC2 I can expect at least one CTD. If I restart and BC2 is the very first game I've played on that boot it's rock solid.


I've also had an issue with the first reboot after a CTD from BC2 killing all system sound, but that's another issue entirely.
 
Just an update.

I tried the suggestion above about trying lower memory amounts by removing sticks. It doesn't seem to matter how little or much memory I am using, it crashes equally.

I've basically tried every possible thing I can think of and everything suggested to me here and one other forum.

The last thing I tried was completely formatting my disk and reinstalling everything from scratch. I did that this weekend. Unfortunately as of right now it hasn't improved the situation for me.

I still get the crashes. And instead of only getting the crashes during the spawn screen after death, I now get them right in the middle of game play. So if anything, its gotten worse.

I'm at my wits end on this issue. I simply cannot get my system to run BFBC2 on Eyefinity without crashing.
 
Just an update.

I tried the suggestion above about trying lower memory amounts by removing sticks. It doesn't seem to matter how little or much memory I am using, it crashes equally.

I've basically tried every possible thing I can think of and everything suggested to me here and one other forum.

The last thing I tried was completely formatting my disk and reinstalling everything from scratch. I did that this weekend. Unfortunately as of right now it hasn't improved the situation for me.

I still get the crashes. And instead of only getting the crashes during the spawn screen after death, I now get them right in the middle of game play. So if anything, its gotten worse.

I'm at my wits end on this issue. I simply cannot get my system to run BFBC2 on Eyefinity without crashing.

Have you tried loading another bios on the motherboard or video card?
 
Just an update.

I tried the suggestion above about trying lower memory amounts by removing sticks. It doesn't seem to matter how little or much memory I am using, it crashes equally.

I've basically tried every possible thing I can think of and everything suggested to me here and one other forum.

The last thing I tried was completely formatting my disk and reinstalling everything from scratch. I did that this weekend. Unfortunately as of right now it hasn't improved the situation for me.

I still get the crashes. And instead of only getting the crashes during the spawn screen after death, I now get them right in the middle of game play. So if anything, its gotten worse.

I'm at my wits end on this issue. I simply cannot get my system to run BFBC2 on Eyefinity without crashing.

I dealt with a lot of crashing issues with Eyefinity Xfire 5850s as well on BFBC2. But my main problem was the graphical stuttering (see http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1506951). Even when it wasn't crashing I couldn't stand the feel of the game with crossfire enabled. I never solved the crashing issue but it was clearly a problem for me (even without eyefinity enabled). I tried a lot of things to fix it as well (x58 extreme with 2 16x slots, i7-920 fyi) but never solved it.

If I were you, I would go with a single video card. Try each one to see what gives you a better overclock and return/sell the second one. I got my 5850 to 950/1225 stable at 1200 mV and BFBC2 with medium detail (5760x1200) averages around 40-50 FPS. With a 5870 you should get even better performance. It's totally playable and I will wait until ATI sorts out the crossfire+eyefinity stuttering issue before considering crossfire again.
 
Have you tried loading another bios on the motherboard or video card?

Yes

I dealt with a lot of crashing issues with Eyefinity Xfire 5850s as well on BFBC2. But my main problem was the graphical stuttering (see http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1506951). Even when it wasn't crashing I couldn't stand the feel of the game with crossfire enabled. I never solved the crashing issue but it was clearly a problem for me (even without eyefinity enabled). I tried a lot of things to fix it as well (x58 extreme with 2 16x slots, i7-920 fyi) but never solved it.

If I were you, I would go with a single video card. Try each one to see what gives you a better overclock and return/sell the second one. I got my 5850 to 950/1225 stable at 1200 mV and BFBC2 with medium detail (5760x1200) averages around 40-50 FPS. With a 5870 you should get even better performance. It's totally playable and I will wait until ATI sorts out the crossfire+eyefinity stuttering issue before considering crossfire again.

Thanks for the advice. I know what you mean about the stuttering with Crossfire. I didn't really notice it until tonight I am just running a single card and was able the play the game more fluidly. What's really strange is the performance is about the same. It's like Crossfire does nothing to help the game (at least not in Eyefinity). I only played about an hour tonight, and during that time it didn't crash.

I could probably sell the 2nd card. It's just that I bought this huge 1050W PSU and X58 Motherboard just for multiple GPUs. Seems a shame to get rid of one card.
 
So no one is able to get Eyeinfinity to work properly with a cross-fire configuration with 5850/5870/5970 ??

Or is this just a Bad Company 2 issue ?
 
I could probably sell the 2nd card. It's just that I bought this huge 1050W PSU and X58 Motherboard just for multiple GPUs. Seems a shame to get rid of one card.

Yeah--it is a shame. I did the same thing (x58, 900w) but I decided to cut my losses.

However, that kind of system has a long lifespan and there's always the hope that these issues will be sorted out with the next hardware generation...
 
I have Eyefinity on 2 Crossfired 5850's running BC2 with no issues. Ever since installing 10.4a (from ATI's site, not the leak in the forums) and the last patch of the game, I haven't had a single crash.

Before that I had major stability issues. I could rarely play for more than 10 minutes without a crash.

What's really strange is the performance is about the same. It's like Crossfire does nothing to help the game (at least not in Eyefinity).
This was happening to me, too, right after I installed 10.4a. I opened CCC and disabled CrossfireX, then re-enabled it. That turned on CrossfireX "for reals" and I got the FPS I was expecting.
 
if ur just CTD, it's the game. You can try disabling dx11 and forcing dx10 or 9. This seems to work best. I hate this recommendation because I purchased a dx11 game and it should play at dx11. Anyway, this starts usually after an update. Also, severe OC also give the game a headache. Ensure you're conservative with your OC.

Good Luck!
 
What are you using for sound? My onboard Realtek sound was causing issues on my rig.
 
What's really strange is the performance is about the same. It's like Crossfire does nothing to help the game (at least not in Eyefinity). I only played about an hour tonight, and during that time it didn't crash.

There's something wrong at your end. Crossfire roughly doubles my framerates in DX11 BC2, with and without Eyefinity resolutions.

If you're doubling your GPU power and your framerate isn't moving then is there something wrong with your CPU or crossfire configuration?

I crash in BC2 several times a night, less so since the latest client patch. The fact that it doesn't crash in single player mode suggests that it has nothing to do with graphics card drivers and everything to do with their buggy code in multiplayer.
 
if ur just CTD, it's the game. You can try disabling dx11 and forcing dx10 or 9. This seems to work best. I hate this recommendation because I purchased a dx11 game and it should play at dx11. Anyway, this starts usually after an update. Also, severe OC also give the game a headache. Ensure you're conservative with your OC.

Good Luck!

Have tried that. Crashed in all modes.

What are you using for sound? My onboard Realtek sound was causing issues on my rig.

I'm using a Auzentech X-Plosion Sound card.

I could try using the onboard sound though.

There's something wrong at your end. Crossfire roughly doubles my framerates in DX11 BC2, with and without Eyefinity resolutions.

I think its more of a micro-stuttering type of thing. It's observational. Smooth game play and such. I spoke about it wrong before. I didn't have FRAPS going to actually know framerates. Sorry my fault.

If you're doubling your GPU power and your framerate isn't moving then is there something wrong with your CPU or crossfire configuration?

How do you configure Crossfire other than the only way? A card installed into each PCI-Ex16 slot with a Crossfire bridge (tried both one and two) connecting them and 4 6pin PCI-E power cords. Crossfire enabled in CCC. Is there some other way to configure it?
 
Back
Top