Eyefinity and Samsung

Ualdayan

[H]ard|Gawd
Did they say anything at the Eyefinity event about what screen size, resolution, release date, or pricing would be like on the thin bezel samsungs? I read that Eyefinity will need at least 1 monitor to be a Displayport enabled monitor; will the new samsungs have a Displayport?

I would assume that since the demo was using the samsung monitors, that yes, they're going to have a displayport connection.

i think they are going to be 22" 1080p
not sure what other size and res they'll also have

i think they are going to be 22" 1080p
not sure what other size and res they'll also have

That's good. I was just hoping they wouldn't be 1680x1050.

Just hope they don't have a big price premium. I'll pay a bit more, in particular since I read they tile easier than most monitors, but it would severely decrease my interest if they charge say $100 more than other monitors of the exact same size/resolution/quality.

Hmm, tried doing more searching. It seems the Samsungs weren't even available at the event were they? Some other sites say they were using Dell monitors for all the demonstrations, in which case I guess nobody that went to the event got to actually see them either.

i just looked at the article posted here on [H]

the monitors are dell 30"

nothing at all like the eyefinity monitors coming from samsung / when i think of those i think of:

activu-dualdisplay-450x299.jpg

That is thin, but it's only thin on two sides. If you look closely it isn't as thin on the top and bottom. The Samsung ones need to be thin on all 4 sides, so I'd guess they would have to be at least a little thicker than the 2 in that picture to 'hold' onto the screen inside the monitor.

but that thin in the middle is the kinda thin im talking about for me to want to buy 3 and line them up

hell if they are that thin all around im pulling the trigger on 6 and ill sli some of the newer cards

i just looked at the article posted here on [H]

the monitors are dell 30"

nothing at all like the eyefinity monitors coming from samsung / when i think of those i think of:

activu-dualdisplay-450x299.jpg

I think you will be disappointed in the Samsung monitors then (they were at the event btw, or at an event). This is the best pic I can find of the Samsung monitors:

eyefinity1.JPG

eyefinity2.JPG

eyefinity3.JPG

Hmm, well, they aren't exactly thin, but if it is easier to tile them they still might be worth a premium. Obviously the tolerance for a price premium is much lower than it would be with monitors that had bezels as thin as that one picture.

Hmm, well, they aren't exactly thin, but if it is easier to tile them they still might be worth a premium. Obviously the tolerance for a price premium is much lower than it would be with monitors that had bezels as thin as that one picture.

I don't think they would be any easier to tile than any other monitor. I can't see much of a market for a mount that would only work with one monitor so I assume they are using standard vesa adjustable mounts.

It is about half the thickness of most normal monitors. So it is pretty thin, it just isn't razor wire thin. The other thing about them as you can see is the lack of buttons, logos, or distracting power indicators on the front bezel.

I don't think they would be any easier to tile than any other monitor. I can't see much of a market for a mount that would only work with one monitor so I assume they are using standard vesa adjustable mounts.

I found a picture of what they look like on the back:

60880861.jpg

Bezel less monitors or this tech is worthless to me. I'll notice even the thinnest of lines and it WILL bug me. I don't pay hundreds and even thousands of dollars to be distracted. Just give it time and companies will take advantage of this tech properly. Projectors are an option, but expensive.

Bezel less monitors or this tech is worthless to me. I'll notice even the thinnest of lines and it WILL bug me. I don't pay hundreds and even thousands of dollars to be distracted. Just give it time and companies will take advantage of this tech properly. Projectors are an option, but expensive.

using projectors for this would be sick, but imagine how much time youd spend matching up the outputs so they dont cross over or have gaps. makes me wonder when they will just start making higher resolution monitors and projectors.

Bezel less monitors or this tech is worthless to me.

exactly, this only works if the bezel is so thin that it virtually disappears... even .25" on either side makes this a big bowl of fail

if the pics we're seeing are the actual monitors then its a swing and a miss

exactly, this only works if the bezel is so thin that it virtually disappears... even .25" on either side makes this a big bowl of fail

if the pics we're seeing are the actual monitors then its a swing and a miss

To each his own, enjoy your low resolution tiny screen and/or incredibly expensive slightly larger screen with slightly larger resolution. Meanwhile those of us who aren't quite so picky can enjoy ultra high resolution super large screen gaming for much cheaper by tiling monitors.

Oh, thanks, I didn't get that,

so we're stuck with it?

You could always try to find a monitor that doesn't support HDCP if you wanted to. All components have to support it for it to work. (OS/videocard/monitor)

Although, some programs that use HDCP actually require it, and without support for it you just plain can't use them.

Well, my personal policy has been to never vote for DRM with my dollars.

Sounds like I have some learning to do if I want to move up to HD.

Fortunately, I like learning.

To each his own, enjoy your low resolution tiny screen and/or incredibly expensive slightly larger screen with slightly larger resolution. Meanwhile those of us who aren't quite so picky can enjoy ultra high resolution super large screen gaming for much cheaper by tiling monitors.

you are so very wrong on both your points of emphasis

first low resolution tiny screens...

dude... ive ran 30" at over 4 million pixels / 100" at 1080p / etc

i currently game on both my projector which is 1080p and my 37" lcd tv, which is also 1080p

1920x1080 is not low resolution, nor would 100" be considered tiny

i know a thing or two about high resolution and large display area

that being said...

there is zero way 1 of these cards is going to be able to drive any current gen game at these enormous resolutions...

have you tried to game at 2560x1600? it's not easy... takes top of the line hardware, never mind titles like crysis or cryostasis that laugh at your futile attempt

you're going to need 2 of the top of the line cards and 3-6 of these special monitors...

all things being equal, any size bezel is going to be a distraction - for me [and many others] the joy of gaming is immersion

and in the pictures im seeing, the bezels on the monitors are too thick and completely ruin said experience

if and only if we're looking at ultra thin < 1mm bezels - then we could talk

but above that... say 6mm [~.25"] you're talking about half an inch between displays

secondly you note the less picky of you will be enjoying ... by tiling ... cheaper...

cheaper?

as stated earlier, these new cards are the hotness... yes indeed, but in order to tile up 6 1080p monitors and game at 5760x2160 you are going to need 2 [or more] of the best...

i think at the announced rumor mill prices that will set you back roughly $1000 in video cards alone

right now the almighty gtx295 has trouble with many games at 2560x1600 [4+ million pixels]

you're telling me you're going to cheaply throw 12.5 million pixels at your video card and its going to sing hey jude?

we havent even started in on the monitors yet

even if you step down to say 1680x1050 you're still talking about ultra high resolutions which dwarf the current single display resolution king [30" 2560p]

did we bring up the power supply or processor [dont want to have that be a bottleneck] or ...

anyway, hopefully you see my point...

dude... ive ran 30" at over 4 million pixels / 100" at 1080p / etc

i currently game on both my projector which is 1080p and my 37" lcd tv, which is also 1080p

1920x1080 is not low resolution, nor would 100" be considered tiny

i know a thing or two about high resolution and large display area

that being said...

there is zero way 1 of these cards is going to be able to drive any current gen game at these enormous resolutions...

have you tried to game at 2560x1600? it's not easy... takes top of the line hardware, never mind titles like crysis or cryostasis that laugh at your futile attempt

you're going to need 2 of the top of the line cards and 3-6 of these special monitors...

all things being equal, any size bezel is going to be a distraction - for me [and many others] the joy of gaming is immersion

and in the pictures im seeing, the bezels on the monitors are too thick and completely ruin said experience

but above that... say 6mm [~.25"] you're talking about half an inch between displays

secondly you note the less picky of you will be enjoying ... by tiling ... cheaper...

cheaper?

as stated earlier, these new cards are the hotness... yes indeed, but in order to tile up 6 1080p monitors and game at 5760x2160 you are going to need 2 [or more] of the best...

i think at the announced rumor mill prices that will set you back roughly $1000 in video cards alone

right now the almighty gtx295 has trouble with many games at 2560x1600 [4+ million pixels]

you're telling me you're going to cheaply throw 12.5 million pixels at your video card and its going to sing hey jude?

we havent even started in on the monitors yet

even if you step down to say 1680x1050 you're still talking about ultra high resolutions which dwarf the current single display resolution king [30" 2560p]

did we bring up the power supply or processor [dont want to have that be a bottleneck] or ...

I find it funny that you start off your rant by touting your awesome (incredibly expensive as I pointed out) "high" resolution 30" display. Then by the end you are talking about how by tiling monitors you get much much higher resolutions (for half the cost if you go 3x1, same price if you go 6x1 @ 200$ for a 22" 1680x1050).

You claim that the performance can't possibly work, yet all the people at the events, including Kyle, say that the SINGLE 5870 they had running this setup handled the games just fine and that the framerates were perfectly playable. The people who have seen this in action have also said that the bezel is much less of an issue then they originally thought it would be.

In the end zealots rarely change their opinion, and I highly doubt you to step away from yours. So I will just enjoy my impossible resolutions for 600$ and you can enjoy your 1000$+ 30" display. Everyone is happy!

I find it funny that you start off your rant by touting your awesome (incredibly expensive as I pointed out) "high" resolution 30" display. Then by the end you are talking about how by tiling monitors you get much much higher resolutions (for half the cost if you go 3x1, same price if you go 6x1 @ 200$ for a 22" 1680x1050).

You claim that the performance can't possibly work, yet all the people at the events, including Kyle, say that the SINGLE 5870 they had running this setup handled the games just fine and that the framerates were perfectly playable. The people who have seen this in action have also said that the bezel is much less of an issue then they originally thought it would be.

In the end zealots rarely change their opinion, and I highly doubt you to step away from yours. So I will just enjoy my impossible resolutions for 600$ and you can enjoy your 1000$+ 30" display. Everyone is happy!

i think he is saying that yeah, many games should work okay as already demonstrated, but for the few games (like crysis which he mentioned) that already struggle at a high resolution like 4mp, don't expect a performance miracle playing at even higher resolutions
(24mp?) even with a better performing card(s) without lowering settings. imo, crysis could work fine on something like a 3x1 6mp setup with a single 5870 or better.

bezels - he no rikey. i think the bezels are distracting, but that's just me. i'm sure better monitors will come along to deal with it.

and he may be implying larger displays tiled with higher resolutions, you would have to sit close enough to see a difference. 3x2 24mp display (90 inch diagonal?), you would have to sit pretty durn close to resolve the difference in pixels over 4mp (maybe 8-12), but that would be an extreme case. of course, i think most will settle for 3x1 5-7mp setups, which should be fine in any case, and at a much lower cost. i am curious how much the specialized 3x2 monitor array samsung is making is going to cost.

as for the cost, well these are high end setups so i don't think cost is an issue for someone where "money is no object".

Last edited:
directly from the article here on [H]
What you are seeing below is a single air cooled AMD next-gen video card in a consumer ATX case powering six LCD displays. No tricks, no switches. Six 30" LCD panels with DisplayPort, and one "Evergreen" video card. This card is a future product that will likely be for sale around the holidays, but on launch day every card will support no less than 3 displays.

read it over a few times...

note on this one point, "this card is a future product that will likely... holidays..."

meaning that's the fabled x2 - not the $300-$400 parts that are going to be available here soon... but the big monster card coming soon

so... you quoted $600 in monitors [which... who's said the samsung eyefinity monitors are going to be a mere $200 a piece?] and then another say $700 at the very least for your gpu

are you running i7? or oc'd c2d or quad? then you dont have the overhead for your display wants...

dude its not me vs you...

im telling you from an informed educated opinion that there is no cheap route ... along either path

want 1 30" display at 2560x1600? its going to cost you...

want 3 23" displays all at 1920x1080? it. is. going. to. cost. you.

The costs of a TH setup is something that depends on which screen, which card (you have to pay for a powerful card anyway and 1 screen minimum if to go any kind of highend setup without TH) etc. I'm sure [H] will cover that in their review.

With Eyefinity, it just got $300 cheaper compared to go the TH2G route and much easier to try out before you buy (borrow some screens from friends or make a TH setup anytime).

I love it that they got this in a single card!

note on this one point, "this card is a future product that will likely... holidays..."

meaning that's the fabled x2 - not the $300-$400 parts that are going to be available here soon... but the big monster card coming soon

so... you quoted $600 in monitors [which... who's said the samsung eyefinity monitors are going to be a mere $200 a piece?] and then another say $700 at the very least for your gpu

are you running i7? or oc'd c2d or quad? then you dont have the overhead for your display wants...

dude its not me vs you...

im telling you from an informed educated opinion that there is no cheap route ... along either path

want 1 30" display at 2560x1600? its going to cost you...

want 3 23" displays all at 1920x1080? it. is. going. to. cost. you.

You aren't as nearly as informed as you think you are. The unreleased product is just a special version of the 2GB 5870, it is not the x2. The name is unofficially rumored to be the "5870 Six" or "5870 Eyefinity Edition".

Of course either way is going to cost you. 3 23" displays is still cheaper than one 30" display, and it provides a larger viewing area and a better resolution. The only thing is the bezel. Having seen some insane setups in person (ever seen that giant hemispheric display wall with Quake on it? I have in person at VT when I went to school there) I can tell you that while distracting at first your mind quickly compensates for it and you hardly notice it as the sheer imensity of the experience takes over. Granted playing on a simple 3x1 setup doesn't have quite the same wow factor as a full hemispheric display.

you gotta give a little to get a little.
you have bezels in the way, but..
try building a setup on a single display w/ larger res than 2560x1600 and build one using multimonitors.
when u find a display that is >2560x1600 it will be an obscene amount of $.
it also allows for many combinations to create personalized aspect ratios (see how many 48x10 or 48x9 monitors u can find and how much they cost)
tiling is cheapER (not necessarily cheap).

it shouldn't be hard to grasp why ppl are excited to see more support for multimonitor setups.

its not that im not interested nor that i dont think its a good idea / i see perfectly well why people are excited about this...

hell im excited about it!

but not if all they've done is turn the volume knob on the bezel down by 1 or 2mm

that's my whole point... not that this isnt going to be the next best thing... only that think about how amazing this would be with 1mm bezels all around

can you even imagine 6 1080p monitors all snuggled up and cozy with a very micro 2mm of bezel between them?

im for it... i want it... i just want it to live up to its potential... which team red has really done their part, its up to panel manufacturers to push forward and deliver the goods...

Actually, here is a photo of the lineup and their size. The 5870 Six is just a 5870 with 6 displayports. The 5870 x2 is something entirely different

I've been simming with the matrox TH2G for 2.5 years now since it first came out and I don't even notice the bezels. This is a non-issue. Your brain tunes it out man. It seems weird but it's true. The FOV is so wide and expansive that you don't really even notice them when you're playing.

I am definitely planning to pick up 2 more of my monitor (found them refurbished for 150 each). So for 300 dollars I will be running 7 MP (Samsung 2343BWX 2048x1152 monitor). Definitely a great option for those of us who don't have 1200 dollars just for a monitor. These monitors have relatively slim bezels. As others have said, to each his own. For me, I will take smaller bezels and somewhat lower settings in games like crysis for a new level of immersion.

I am definitely planning to pick up 2 more of my monitor (found them refurbished for 150 each). So for 300 dollars I will be running 7 MP (Samsung 2343BWX 2048x1152 monitor). Definitely a great option for those of us who don't have 1200 dollars just for a monitor. These monitors have relatively slim bezels. As others have said, to each his own. For me, I will take smaller bezels and somewhat lower settings in games like crysis for a new level of immersion.

cool, i've never seen that resolution before (2048x1152). kinda weird, lol.

I still want to know if it is possible and if anybody is going to attempt at making a screen setup of their own by removing stock bezels...

The bezels would be great for a game like Eve Online where you never leave your spaceship...it'd be like the windows in the cockpit, super cool.

I think your brain would tune them out surprisingly quickly anyway

dude... ive ran 30" at over 4 million pixels
And how much did that 30" screen cost you? Over $1000 I'm betting.

My triple-22" screen setup cost me $600 and offers 5.3 million pixels, and the aspect ratio is three times wider. Half the price for more pixels, you can't beat that.

I guess you havn't looked at the High Resolution Screenshot Thread over in the General Gaming subforum, nor the SoftTH thread in the video cards forum.

I have no issues driving games at 5040x1050 (which, remember, is actually higher resolution than 2560x1600) with a single GeForce GTX260.

Check it out, Need For Speed Shift running max settings and perfectly playable (Click for full size):

Obviously not, I'm doing it with a GTX260 and some regular old 22" Asus monitors.

So let me get this straight, you find this:
15531722.jpg

More immersive than this? (I humored you and added bezels).
38671946.jpg

Heh, looks fine to me. Having a couple small black bars is better than having absolutely nothing beyond the boundaries of the center monitor.

cheaper?

If you want to go to the extreme of six monitors, sure it's more expensive. But, as I showed at the beginning of this post, a triple-monitor system is more cost effective than a single large screen by providing both higher resolutions, wider aspect ratios, and all for less than the cost of a single 30" 2560x1600 monitor.

right now the almighty gtx295 has trouble with many games at 2560x1600 [4+ million pixels]...

Once again, I'm doing triple 1680x1050 (combined total of 5040x1050) with a GTX260 without a hitch. Maybe you have some sort of driver issue going on with your GTX295 that's nerfing your performance. Are you sure you have SLI enabled and functioning between the cores on your card?

My Corsair TX750w and Phenom II X4 920 (3.4GHz) are doing just fine as well...

Sorry, no...

Back