Eyefinity active adapters

tom736928

Weaksauce
So i've got my rig set up for quite some time. Its running at core i7 920 / 5970 sapphire edition. I ordered dell 2209WA x3 for some eyefinity testing. Lastly what i need is an active adapter to connect to my 5970 mini display port. I'll be needing a displayport to dual link DVI adapter , does anyone have any idea where i could get them online that ships to asia(singapore to be specific). I found this apple active adapter but not sure if it would work.

http://store.apple.com/sg/product/MB571Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTA4MzU1ODY

Basically it gives me the mini displayport instead of the displayport like the Blizlink/Dell/Accell adapter, such that i do not have to plug the displayport into another displayport to mini displayport adapter before connecting into the 5970.

I would appreciate if anyone could give me a site that has any of these active adapters and actually ships to Asia. I tried Newegg / Amazon but had no luck.

i do not have an ebay account, therefore im looking ffor online retailers that accepts visa/amex

I'm sorry, but you would have been better off buying DisplayPort-capable monitors. The active adapters are a mess.

why do you need active? I thought active was only needed at resolutions greater then HDMI spec >1920x1080 ?

Because nothing is that easy. You gotta pay to play and eyefinity is definitely gonna make you pay.

Did you get the 2209was from Dell? If you did you should email them and ask if they can get you the DP adapter, they gave me a big discount on mine.

Not as much as what you are paying for another videocard in case you bought Nvidia :)
Actually, just unboxed and installed my 5870 today :D

besides, ATi comes close, its either $100 for an iffy dvi to DP adapter, or another monitor, at least running you 200 bucks, if not, more...

Triple monitor gaming will add up the cost.

yeap , i got my monitors off dell, however the dell in my country do not sell the adapters , so it kinda sucks, on the other hand i bought the adapter last night at www.thetwistergroup.com

I was going to say, if you emailed them maybe they could work something out.

If you have ANY problems with the adapter - like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HQAHmJHBjg
Get it replaced immediately, it's the firmware on the adapter - there's no way to update it currently for end user.

Actually, just unboxed and installed my 5870 today :D

besides, ATi comes close, its either $100 for an iffy dvi to DP adapter, or another monitor, at least running you 200 bucks, if not, more...

Triple monitor gaming will add up the cost.

Accell UltraAV B087B-002B DisplayPort/DVI-D Dual-Link Adapter (Black)
Buy new: $109.99 $100.95

Or if you bought Nvidia GTX 480 an extra $600(more?) for a second videocard to be able to run 3 monitors for gaming.

Easy choice ?

http://store.apple.com/sg/product/MB571Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA5OQ&mco=MTA4MzU1ODY

I would appreciate if anyone could give me a site that has any of these active adapters and actually ships to Asia. I tried Newegg / Amazon but had no luck.

While I have seen some exceptions to the rule, those DO NOT work.

Here is a list.

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

This is the ONLY one I have seen that you can be assured to get the right firmware.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4999025&cm_re=sapphire-_-14-999-025-_-Product

It is absolutely deplorable that AMD does not have a single link DVI adapter to market yet that is "validated" for less than $30. (Dual link will always be ~$100.)

wait, isn't this single link?

Accell B087B-001B A1-4.1 N/A DisplayPort DVI (Single Link, Passive Dongle) 1920x1200 Validated
Wieson G9857C219-004 A N/A DisplayPort DVI (Single Link, Passive Dongle) 1920x1200 Validated

it's validated too :p

You don't give a link so I don't know exactly what you are looking at. That list is confusing and idiotic in my opinion. It confuses me.

Looking up the part number I find it here. It is just a passive adapter. And I do not think it will work with Eyefinity from what I have seen.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
sorry, those are off of the list on the AMDsite that you linked, Correct me if I'm wrong, but a passive dongle will work for 1920x1200(or anything under)?

Because ATI validates it for that resolution to use with eyefinity

Honestly I do not know anymore. Here is the email I just sent AMD.

You say this dongle is validate for up 1920x1200 Eyefinity usage. So an active dongle is not needed? I have been flat out told an active dongle was a requirement since day one. I am confused and quite frankly I don't think AMD knows what is going on considering the mixed messages I am getting. I want an final answer on this question. I can use passive dongles for Eyefinity support using 3 DVI monitors at 1920x1200 and lower?

sorry, those are off of the list on the AMDsite that you linked, Correct me if I'm wrong, but a passive dongle will work for 1920x1200(or anything under)?

Because ATI validates it for that resolution to use with eyefinity

And to answer your question, I have never seen a passive dongle working and have seen many reports that they do not.

The reason why they have the passive ones listed there is because they *do* work if you only have 2 monitors hooked up. They should be separated imo but w/e. If you read the bullet points above the list:

• A maximum of 2 legacy monitors (VGA, DVI or HDMI) can be enabled simultaneously, provided that each monitor is connected either directly or via a “passive” DisplayPort™ adapter/dongle. “Passive” adapters/dongles will NOT support more than 2 legacy monitors.
• To enable support for more than 2 monitors, “active” DisplayPort™ adapters/dongles are required (or monitors with direct DisplayPort™ connectivity must be used).

So they do specify you need active adapters, but the list itself should be organized better or have the limitation noted on each adapter.

^ Exactly what noquarter said.....but let me add my two cents.

You CANNOT configure 3x1 Eyefinity with passive adapters with any 5000 series Radeon card.

You can configure 2x1 Eyefinity with passive adapter with any 5000 series Radeon card because there are only two TMDS display controllers. (I don't really consider 2x1 "Eyefinity" but so be it.)

I did just speak at length to AMD about that Validated Dongle page and let them know that it is confusing people. They will discuss putting some graphics on the page to help explain better. The verbiage on that page is confusing at best.

Anyone you see posting that DP to DVI worked with a passive adapter was NOT using 3 displays in an Eyefinity configuration.

So all in all, what AMD has been telling me since day one stands correct. You need an active dongle to do "Eyefinity"...which we consider by default to be a 3x1 configuration. Obviously Eyefinity configurations into specialty applications like engineering and such may benefit from 2x1 or 1x2 setups, but not really for gamers.

I wonder if Saphire is aware of the demand for these and have any plans to increase production? I agree AMD should be more proactive in getting a necessary component on the market. Its kinda like buying a car without wheels or without a ignition key. WTF??

The Sapphire is still a rebranded accell adapter (probably with their own firmware on it, though) - I bet if someone else brings one out (other than Apple) they might actually drop in price and be readily available.

Check out widescreen gaming forum. They ahve a ton of info about adapters and eyefinity

I'm using the Dell Bizlink adapter here. bNo problems

It jst sucks that the adapters are so expensive..unless you have displayport monitors

The Sapphire is still a rebranded accell adapter (probably with their own firmware on it, though) - I bet if someone else brings one out (other than Apple) they might actually drop in price and be readily available.

Yes, competition would help greatly. $100 is too much. At least they are not $200 or something really silly in price. IMO right now the biggest problem is finding them in stock.

I've just received my monitors today and set it up. The apple mini displayport to dual link dvi adapter DOES work for me. It might just be my luck though as many people are complaining that it doesnt work. Im using Dell 2209WA x3 for this setup. Eyefinity gaming is INSANE.

I been eyeballing those 2209WA myself. Can you post a pic of your Eyefinity setup? I'm still waiting to see what Fermi cards do to pricing in the next month or so. I'm hoping the 5870 drops in price some. Get a 5870 and then buy two (I already have a LG L226WTQ 22" LCD) or three 2209WA LCDs and get into some serious 3x22" gaming.

Where did you get the DP to mini-DP adapter from? Could you post a link if possible.

Thanks!

That looks sweet. I'd probably try to put those two side monitor bezels a little behind the center one to help reduce the bezel look a little bit but otherwise it looks sweet. How's the gaming performance on those monitors? Any ghosting problems? If I remember correctly they have something like 5ms response time don't they? They are height adjustable too right? If I keep my current 22" I'll need to be able to adjust their height to it. I wish I had an extra $1000 dollars right now to spend. I'd buy three. :D

dang , why didnt i thought of putting those side monitor closer to the back ? dumb me heh. I've not been playing much on it yet so far,however i dont really have any problems with the bezels though,am using catalyst 10.3 with bezel compensation. As for ghosting problem i cant really tell you yet till i start playing my fps games.

the only problem i have with them is that they are too bright that i have to literally(i know it sounds stupid) wear a sunglass when using the computer for an extended period of time.

the only problem i have with them is that they are too bright that i have to literally(i know it sounds stupid) wear a sunglass when using the computer for an extended period of time.

You should be able to adjust the brightness level. I set mine to 50% so its not so hard on the eyes. Often the factory sets it to 100%.

Back