Eyefinity across 3 CRT Displays - Question

Can I chain my FW900 alongside 2 Dell 22" monitors?

Resolutions are 1920x1200 on the FW900, 1600x1200 on the 22"s.

And yes, har har, CRTs, it's all I really have right now. :p

And the FW900 is god.

Its been done before, but all three displays will need to be set to the same resolution.

Edit: With the middle monitor running at 85Hz, no less
*Necro thread revival*

Sorry for the LONG delay, real life, work, and school (finals) have been eating all of my time lately, but I finally got around to setting up eyefinity. Here's the set up:

Left: LP2465 (Connected with DP->VGA adaptor)
Middle: FW900 (VGA)
Right: LP2465 (DVI)

It works great. I JUST set it up, so the only thing I've tested is BC2, but it gave me the option for "5760x1200@85Hz" which set my CRT to 85Hz and the LCDs at 60Hz. The only issue I'm having is blinking on the DP connected monitor, but I'm 99% sure it's the adaptor itself, and nothing related to my strange eyefinity setup.

Pics or it didn't happen:
eyefinity_fw900_bc2_0.png

eyefinity_fw900_bc2_1.png

EDIT: This is with the 10.5 beta drivers that came out maybe a month or so ago

Gotta say, if they made the FW900 with a smaller bezel, I'd dump my LCD's in a heartbeat. Can't beat CRT quality :D

Last edited:
So I'd have to make my FW900 run at 1600x1200?

Well, that kills that idea. Q.Q

All monitors btw are 85Hz.

I was hoping it'd work since its all the same vertical resolution >>

You can use SoftTH to run the middle at 1920x1200, and the sides at 1600x1200.

It's way more fiddly than Eyefinity, and requires some extra configuration, but it does work.

Ah, my old post! I need to get that set up again.

I don't think I would be able to stand the bezels of 3 CRTs right next to each other to be honest. With the CRT+LCD set up, the bezels are about 2.25 inches (crt bezel + lcd bezel) while with two CRTs it would be 3.75.

In case anyone is wondering about the input lag on the CRT vs the LCD, I notice it but it doesn't bother me much because you're focused on the middle monitor. And that's with PVA panels that have pretty bad input lag. With TN panels, it would be still be noticeable but much better, I would think.

Is anyone even making CRT monitors anymore?

I wonder if you could get the bezels any thinner with modern tech...

I wonder if you could get the bezels any thinner with modern tech...

Bezels in CRTs were mostly hollow anyway. Reducing the bezel size was never really a priority because the monitors would still be 16 inches deep and weigh as much as cinder blocks. Besides you needed space on the bezel to put sticky notes :D

Meh, the size and weight never really bothered me. I set them on my desk once and that's where they stay. :p

I might try this at some point since I still have my fw900, and I could borrow a 23" 60hz and a 22" 60hz to pair it with. If I could get the different refresh rates to work together that is.
Another option would be two 23" 120hz lcd's, one for each side. I think a fw900 can do 115hz at 1920x1080 if I'm not mistaken. If I had to , I could turn the 120hz LCD side panels down to match the fw900 refresh rate exactly.
About the jumbo fw900 bezel -- I would overlap the side lcd's on top of the fw900 unlike the previous pictures in this thread, so that the side lcd's would cover the fw900 side bezels entirely. The only bezel gap would be the side lcd panel bezels , singly on each side.
Fixed
eyefinity_fw900_bc2_overlapped-bezels.jpg

fw900-with-lcds-eyefinity_overlapped-bezels2.jpg

Last edited:
Before my Dell 2407WFP LCD I rocked a NEC MultiSync FE2111SB-BK I loved that monitor, 1600x1200 @ 85Hz looked fantastic. It was almost 80 lbs and was super expensive when I bought it.

There's one factory in China making CRT tubes, but they're of the worst quality, and that's just the tube. Hold onto your CRTs for dear life, things are serious for those into collecting and renovating classic arcade games now, far over a grand for a fresh new 25" tube for a cabinet from a Japanese parts-dealer and that's not including the outrageous shipping.

Its possible to run the FW900 at a different refresh rate than the LCDs. You must use a custom inf driver for the FW900. I run the FW900 at 100hz and the LCDs at 60. Even bezel compensation works because I modified the EDID of the FW900 to match the physical size coded in the EDID of the LCDs. Works great and matches well with my pair of 22" LCD monitors.

posting this as a quote here in case anyone is missing it in the fw900 thread..

Very nice. I've been considering doing something like that, as you could tell from my posts in the other "Eyefinity across 3 CRT Displays " thread. that you just posted in.
I have a few questions as well.
..Are you running 1680x1050 to stress the gpu less or to bump crt the refresh rate up higher (100hz ?), or both?
..Is 1680x1050 the native resolution of the side LCD monitors or are you scaling (tends to make things a little less crisp , muddy result) ?
.If the side panels are 1080p native, have you tried running all three monitors at 1080p? what refresh rate were you capable of on the fw900 in that scenario? any issues?
.Do you think 22" fits the fw900 better than a 23" would? I'm guessing it's pretty close either way since the viewable on the fw900 is 22.5" I believe.. but if you ran the fw900 at 16:9 aspect I supposed it would be more like 22" now that I think of it. Anyway 23" is in my mind because the closest sized 120hz panels are 23", and I'm considering using those on the sides, perhaps at 120hz - 96 hz - 120hz at 1080p on all three.

And thanks again for having posted this (in both threads no less) so people can see it.

Back