Eye Strain Reduced with Low Haze

FOSS-I

Weaksauce
Anyone else found a low-haze or glossy screen reduces eye strain vs the typical 25% haze?

Also, are VA panels generally better for extended comfort?

I have VA, TN and OLED panels at home and use a 27" 5K or 1440p IPS at work. I haven't noticed any difference between these in terms of eye comfort except the TN has a more grainy antiglare coating. As long as the coating isn't as grainy as some old displays had I am fine. Adjusting the screen for proper brightness level does more for comfort as does avoiding displays with PWM backlights for those sensitive to it.

What level of brightness do you generally like with what level of contrast? I've found contrast level has a significant effect on brightness, and when I'm in a dark evening environment I like to take down the contrast level in addition to the brightness.

I prefer matte IPS over glossy whatever else and have no eye strain issues.
Some people claim VA works better for them. This might be due to different pixel structure and generally more "clear" screen surface (most VA are semi-glossy) which makes it easier to focus on the screen surface. It definitely have nothing to do with contrast ratio. I personally find VA irritating because of gamma shift issues eg. this site with its dark gray background is a total mess on any VA panel. Not enough to cause eye strain but it is aesthetically displeasing.

My theory of why people have eye strain issues is because they try to focus too much on what they see to somehow see sharper image and strain muscles in their eyes when doing so. This leads to compromised and blurrier vision and this in turn leads to even greater drive to focus eyes and even more eye strain, etc.
Actually you do not need super sharp image to resolve letters, words, sentences, etc. so there is no need for you to force eyes to focus on them to see them super clearly. Seeing clearly is the goal, always, but at the same time seeing clearly should always be result of relaxation and never of forced focusing. If you need to focus to see clearly then let yourself not se clearly, relaxation is much more important and if you have relaxed eyes they won't be strained... kinda obvious, isn't it? Believe it or not but eyes will somehow figure out how to focus on the surfaces without you consciously focusing them and will do this much better than you can so actually keeping eyes relaxed will lead to improved eyesight. I see better today than I did eg. few years ago and I pretty abandoned idea of trying to focus my eyes on anything and when I do not see something clearly I do absolutely nothing and just wait until I can tell what it is that I am looking at. It might take a while when object is small, far away or in dim lighting but eventually eyes and brain will get there. And if not then there is zero chance I could see this kinds of details if I forced eyes to somehow force myself into seeing it more clearly and I would only strain my eyes while doing so.

Back