eye strain and headache with u3011

meadgamer

Weaksauce
Just got my u3011 today. I have the resolution set at max, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but after about 20 minutes of browsing the web or working in excel or word. I seem to get a massive headache.

The monitor is about 3 feet from my eyes, I have also increase the zoom size in firefox by 3x zoom (ctrl + ). The refresh rate is 60hz, same as my old monitor was.

What can I do alleviate this, I can't sit in front of the screen for more than 30 minutes now:(

Have you tried turning turning down the brightness? My 3007wfp-hc killed my eyes with out the brightness set way down. Have you calibrated the display will help alot with eye strain and head achs.

Try sitting a bit closer I sit 1.6 feet away from mine and I'm on it 24.7

How would I go about calibrating the display? I have it set for sRGB atm, not sure exactly how to go about calibrating it.

Just turned down the brightness, will see how it is in 30 minutes or so!

I'll second the brightness issue.

My U3011s are extremely bright. Not only did I turn the brightness down to zero from the hardware menus - I had to turn the brightness down a bit in software menus as well.

My brightness is at 50 contrast 50 but I turn the contrast down to 30 at night usually hurts on white backgrounds.

Turned the Brightness down to 20 and Contrast to 40, seems to be helping some, but still getting some strain on the eyes, headache is not throbbing as much anymore, my temporal side was going crazy before:eek:

Thanks guys this was really helpful, if you have any other things I might do to relieve this would help, as I plan to be sitting in front of the screen for over 4 hours at a time!

What was your previous monitor?
Are you sure having a one big single monitor is the right choice for you?
I know wouldn't be able to do some text / excel work on a 30"...
I think a dual monitor setting is best for that kind of use.

I like to work in the evening or night time, I use a little software that adapts the color of the monitor to the time of the day:
http://stereopsis.com/flux/
I love it, it really helps. You can disable it for color sensitive work and adapt the color variation to you preference. (The preset is kinda extreme)
Believe it or not, I actually sleep better with that thing on. o_O

Previous monitor was a 24" Asus VH242

I've had that monitor for the past 4-5 years, thought it was time to upgrade the real estate.

I'll see how the 30" works out next couple of months before I jump on making any decisions to 2 monitor setup. My plan was to do the 20-30-20 PLP setup. Although, now I'm thinking I should have gone with 120hz monitor setup, to early to make any rushed decision, I've only had the monitor for half a day!

There are no 120Hz IPS 30" monitors, and going for a U3011 is never a bad decision :)

If you are planning on gaming just remember that PLP isn't currently supported in Eyefinity/nVSurround - you might want to get 2 more U3011's instead of PLP.

For gaming, I assume I could just default to the 30" when I game if I have a PLP setup, and turn of the side monitors? I don't do any fps gaming so I think 30" would look nice in mmorpg games, such as gw2.

30" takes time to get used to. I also came from 24" screens, and I had headaches for about a month and gaming would make me sick to my stomach. Give it a few weeks, hopefully you will get used to it.

Calibration helps a lot too. I have three monitors with brightness set to 0, 11 and 17 respectively. It will seem very dim at first, especially compared to the default setting. But give it time, it is still plenty bright and much easier on the eyes

For gaming, I assume I could just default to the 30" when I game if I have a PLP setup, and turn of the side monitors? I don't do any fps gaming so I think 30" would look nice in mmorpg games, such as gw2.

It's not bad, but when you have multiple monitors you at some point *WANT* to try Eyefinity and trust me after trying it for a while it's hard to go back to one monitor, even a 30".

It's not bad, but when you have multiple monitors you at some point *WANT* to try Eyefinity and trust me after trying it for a while it's hard to go back to one monitor, even a 30".

He'd need three 30" monitors to do it- seriously, we've been waiting over half a decade for either/both AMD and/or Nvidia to support a PLP setup. They're not interested. Also, you need more GPUs...

He'd need three 30" monitors to do it- seriously, we've been waiting over half a decade for either/both AMD and/or Nvidia to support a PLP setup. They're not interested. Also, you need more GPUs...

Yep - I just bought 2 used 30" monitors and a HD6990 to upgrade my PLP rig to quadfire Eyefinity 3x1. It's not impossible.

you know.. you always can send it to my address.

I could use a couple more ZR30w's myself!

Hell, I could've gotten them, but what really held me back was the realization that I'd need to build a system to power them with at least three 3GB+ GPUs and the infrastructure to support them, and in the end, they'd go mostly unused in games. Can't stare at all three at once; you're mostly just using the side screens for peripheral vision, and $2000 for monitors is just too much of an outlay for that. That's why I want PLP support, and why I'm pissed that AMD/Nvidia can't seem to get that one feature supported.

I could use a couple more ZR30w's myself!

Hell, I could've gotten them, but what really held me back was the realization that I'd need to build a system to power them with at least three 3GB+ GPUs and the infrastructure to support them, and in the end, they'd go mostly unused in games. Can't stare at all three at once; you're mostly just using the side screens for peripheral vision, and $2000 for monitors is just too much of an outlay for that. That's why I want PLP support, and why I'm pissed that AMD/Nvidia can't seem to get that one feature supported.

Monitors cost me $350.

You seem to be sitting really far from the monitor, upping the font/size and still straining.

I'd sit closer, and I believe on my 30" I use 130%.

check out the flicker as well. that hurts too. it comes from the backlight. do you notice any flicker?

I think I do notice a slight flicker, what could I do to get rid of that?

google "led flicker"

even i'm stumped about this issue. so far only option is to use some other display which doesnt strain you. sell the display/return it before it is too late.

Many people have a problem with florescent lights.

I had to take back my 1440p Auria due to this issue.

Just do a search for florescent lighting and headaches. It's all over the web.

http://www.steadyhealth.com/Fluorescent_Light_Alergy_t86498.html

"There's a solution for part of the symptoms of fluorescent effects, like migranes. Mad I used to get them from sitting under fluorescent lights at work. I did some research and ended up getting some diffusers for them."

Have you had lcd panels that were that large in the past?

Some people can get florescent light diffusers.

Last edited:
I just used the following website to test the flicker:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php#invpattern

It is worse than I thought, and maybe this could also be part of the reason?

I'm wondering if the flicker problem is related to using a mini-display port adapater, as I have the u3011 connected to a MSI 6950, which only has a mini DP. Im going from DP cable supplied with the monitor to mini DP adapter to plug it into the card atm. And I can't test the DVI cable as the pins don't match up with the ones on the gfx card.

Also, I bought the monitor from Newegg so if I have to return and get a new one, who am I going to have to deal with Newegg or Dell? I really don't want to pay shipping if I have to return it :(

Tried that didn't help much, soon as I move to any program that shows alot of white, it becomes unbearable on my eyes after 15 minutes or so.

Did you enter your zip code?
Then you can go into the settings and set it how you like it.
The default settings are a little extreme, but the more you get used to it, the more you're pushing it.

@Globox You're using it too?
I was quite doubtful about that program but after a few days, beside the eyestrain it really has improved my sleep... Weird! But awesome. :)

flux reduces bluelight you can reduce blue in rgb settings on the monitor directly. it doesn't help with flicker.

try a vga-vga or dvi--dvi dual link connection.

It takes time to get used to. It happened to me the first time I switched to LCD's and then it happened again when I got the 3011. Give it time and go slowly, it's definitely worth it.

Try changing the color temperature to something more warmer. That fixed it for me. :D

Back