extremely strict budget pc

colore

Limp Gawd
hello!

at work, I work in a Pentium 4 3.2GHz, 512MB RAM computer (dont laugh :p) which ofcourse barely runs WinXP

I will have to convince manager to upgrade this miserable machine, while the budget is extremely strict

but really any pc with acceptable performance for office and web, only, tasks, that will make a huge difference in performance compared with that machine, would suffice

can you point me to a buy suggestion to replace the computer or can you advise me for any OS or something that will make that machine perform adequately?

thanks!

Nothing you can do to that machine will make it much faster than it is now.

Upgrading the RAM to 2GB might let you stave off a system replacement for a little while, but it really isn't worth it at this point since DDR2 has gotten more expensive and new systems have gotten pretty cheap.

How tight of a budget are we talking?

Need at least a general figure to be able to recommend anything.

A quick search shows you can get a new ACER - Intel i3 based system for $350 shipped. I would upgrade it from 2GB to 4GB.. which would cost about $23 from Newegg.

Computer I saw was on Ebay.. didn't really do any more looking.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300759688477&_trksid=p5197.m1256&_trkparms=clkid%3D1530579324766053387

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Not sure what your budget is, but a system like this would seem to fit most smaller budgets. Plus, the system can be upgraded in memory as well if needed. However for most office work this will definitely work.

You are currently using XP, however. Do the applications you use explicitly require XP? If so, you will have to perhaps factor in those costs as well.

Not sure what your budget is, but a system like this would seem to fit most smaller budgets. Plus, the system can be upgraded in memory as well if needed. However for most office work this will definitely work.

You are currently using XP, however. Do the applications you use explicitly require XP? If so, you will have to perhaps factor in those costs as well.

Hah.. that is the same system I linked from Ebay... Except it comes with 4GB RAM. End number on model is 30P vs 20P (one on Ebay).

Didn't check your link. Nicely made coincidence! Looks like an unknown agreement on the system for him.
Hah.. that is the same system I linked from Ebay... Except it comes with 4GB RAM. End number on model is 30P vs 20P (one on Ebay).

thanks for your reply

is there a chance to be able to save $$ by not including in the system:

- Optical Drive (or just a simple cd drive would suffice)
- Operating System (I hope I can make huge savings here)
- HDMI
- Card Reader
- Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, etc accessories

also, how about some mini-pc with Intel Atom etc? are they worthy?

An Atom is going to be as slow as your P4.
What's your budget?

Do you already have a legit Windows license you can use? With a budget that low, you're looking at buying a manufactured system. Nearly impossible to build a complete system with $300.

Can you please answer the " Asking for Build Help?: ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST" thanks.

Also, what is the purpose of your system? Are you migrating large amounts of data using this or mainly working with documents and ordering?

I would go with this computer and this memory.

I am still using a C2D as my main processor for non-gaming. It does everything I need to do and a bit more. Also, that system already comes with an OS, and as much memory as the 32bit OS would work with (minus 3/4ths a GB).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You can drop in a relatively modern CPU, like a Pentium D and double your speed.

The cheapest and easiest thing to do is: You can use a fast USB flash drive and set the Windows swap file to it. That'll speed it up a little.

You can drop in a relatively modern CPU, like a Pentium D and double your speed.

The cheapest and easiest thing to do is: You can use a fast USB flash drive and set the Windows swap file to it. That'll speed it up a little.

USB drive.. not gonna speed it up at all...

Pentium D... does the computer even support it? Depends on chipset and BIOS. Pentium D is still gonna be quite slow (Pentium 4 D).

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
yes I have valid WinXP licence and I only need the pc for web and ms office use

Back