Extremely slow FTP uploads on broadband please help.

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
I have cable 8mbps down and 768k upload. It's been fine forever up until the last month. When I try to upload with FTP programs it's slow as molasis a measly 2KBps. nearly dial up speeds! The speeds are normal if I go directly to the server to upload but that's no good as I need FTP programs it's so much more convenient. I've been using smartftp and recently downloaded IP-switch FTP and tried that and still the same problem. Download speeds through the programs are normal and fast, just uploading is the only problem. I called the server it's not them, I called my cable it's not them. Brand new and same modem it's not that. Tried without the router. I read something online about disabling QoS packet scheduler and still no luck. I can't find anything else on the web and I need this fixed. I have xp pro and system stats below. Can anyone help?? I'd appreciate it a bunch this is driving me nuts. oh i also tried with and without zone alarm still no luck.

Let's go down the list:
Have you confirmed it's not the software?
Have you tried uploading on other ports if the FTP server has alternate ports?
Does your ISP have anything in their Acceptable Use Policy regarding FTP?
If you have a second computer, does it do the same thing?

k here we go.

Can't be the software because I've tried 3 different kinds.
It's not the isp I called them yesterday, they have no rules or problems going on.
I just tried on 2 other computers and still the same thing =/

But,

What other port could I change it to in the software? It's set at port 21 right now. It must be some kind of setting or something the weird thing I don't get is it just started happening one day out of nowhere and was working fine for a year before that.

You would have to e-mail/call/smoke signal the owners of the FTP server and find out if there's any alternate ports for access. Usually most FTP servers have one or two alternates, so that people who get limited on port 21 traffic can still download at full speed.

Try turning on "Passive" mode in the FTP software.

Do you have SP2 with Windows Firewall enabled? I've had trouble with FTP and that, regardless of how I put the software in the "do not block this program" list. The only way around it is to go into Passive Mode, or turn off Windows firewall whenever you want to use the program.

Spidey is right. Generally, Windows Firewall is a pretty unintelligent piece of software. It needs some brain surgery to work correctly. :p

Yeah I have sp2 and the windows firewall is disabled. still no luck =/

also tried it in passive mode still no luck =/ lol

i can try emailing them about another port but that will probably take a while for a response.

Back