Extremely slow DSL (Verizon)

Boxerz

Limp Gawd
So I go over my friends house and before I leave, I'm downloading a few things and playing Poker and Starcraft online. He shows me Left 4 Dead at his house so I decide to buy it off of STEAM which will allows me to download it from their client and the game is about 4-8 gigs. I download it on my laptop at his house at 1.1mbps and than I get home and I try to download it on my comp and I'm downloading at 120kbps max. My internet is now extremely laggy and I can't play any games online while I download this game at such a slow rate. I check if it's my router so I remove it, it's not. I'm wired and have 2 wireless comps connected on a secure LAN. I try downloading random files on other computers and the max speed I'm getting is 120kbps. Normally, I can atleast get to 700kbps on this new DSL.

I do realize that DSL gets slower as more people use it but I've had this DSL for a month and it has been solid but the past 2 days it's been this slow. I can't call Verizon because it's the weekend and they're useless. I miss my Comcast cable but the prices were insane. Is this something awkward or something that happens to DSL where long periods of time, it can be laggy for days?

oh ya, I speed tested my connection currently on many different sites and I am getting 1000kbps download speed and 200-300 upload yet thats not really what I'm getting when I download.

also I have Westell 6100F Verizon DSL Modem and an old reliable buffalo modem in use and a NEW linksys wrt54g2 which sucks sitting out. i switched the routers, i connected the computer directly to the modem, none of those improved.

Well I am not sure what kind of DSL you have but if you don't have a static IP you could turn it off for a bit and see if you get a new IP when it connects again.

Every once and awhile my IP changes and sometimes my connection goes down hill with it. I find when this happens I have all sorts of IP addressing banging away at my firewall. Not sure how much of the slowdown is due it inbound traffic and how much is due to my router not being able to keep up.

Now I don't know the cause but I suspect that the person who had the IP before me was either heavily in to P2P or heavily infected with malware. But shutting down my modem until I get a new IP will usually fix the problem.

Also, if I were you I would be concerned with the problem being a malware infection.

I rarely get any malware in the many years and I have 3 different comps I tested and I just reformatted one to change operating systems to see if it could be due to vista. my IP is static I believe, I set it so I could port forward. i haven't done any major downloading on any P2P torrents etc, I just mainly play poker and play video games so nothing would make me think I did anything to cause this. Just happened when I came back..

LOL Westell 6100 sucks ass I had nothing but problems. Call them up and tell them you want an actiontec wireless. It's bad ass.

Well the above poster may be correct about the modem, not sure what model I have but it's the old white Westell and it still works great. I think I am going to miss it when it dies and I have to get a new combo modem/router setups.

Anyway I was referring to your WAN IP and it seems you have Verizon so I doubt it is a static IP but only you would know. Either way can hurt to turn the modem off for a bit and see if that fixes things.

The only other connection speed problem I had in the past 8-10 years other then ones that seem to come with IP changes was related to the phone line my modem was connected to. I ran a new wire right from the phone box on the wall out side my house and problem solved. If you have a laptop and extension cord you could test things with the modem plugged right in to the box on the side of your house or you could run a phone line in through a nearby window. Assuming you have a similar hook up to the one I have when you open the customer access panel you will see a standard RJ11 phone connection. Just unplug the cord going in to it and hook up a phone line connected to your modem. Note that when you unplug the RJ11 you are disconnecting all your in house phone lines. If you use a computer you are 100% sure is clean connected directly to your modem and have your modem directly connected to the box on the side of your house and still have a poor connection you can call tech support confident the problem isn't on your end.

Umm does your friend have Verizon DSL too, or do you just assume he does?

Do you know the difference between Mbps and mBps?

120 kBps = about 1.0 Mbps

This sounds about normal for 1.5 Mbps Verizon DSL.

I am stating the obvious, before looking father in-depth. Anybody else understand what I am getting at? He may not have a problem at all.

If it is 120 Kilo bits and not bytes, then I would be concerned.

Umm does your friend have Verizon DSL too, or do you just assume he does?

Do you know the difference between Mbps and mBps?

120 kBps = about 1.0 Mbps

This sounds about normal for 1.5 Mbps Verizon DSL.

I am stating the obvious, before looking father in-depth. Anybody else understand what I am getting at? He may not have a problem at all.

If it is 120 Kilo bits and not bytes, then I would be concerned.
I try downloading random files on other computers and the max speed I'm getting is 120kbps. Normally, I can atleast get to 700kbps on this new DSL.

can you enter into your modem and get your line stats? SNR Margin and Line attenuation.

Cheetoz, I'm glad you see my point. I think he may just be confused between Bits and Bytes. Thus for a lack of a better word for us e-dwellers. He's a noob to his connection.

:p

My sources.

oh ya, I speed tested my connection currently on many different sites and I am getting 1000kbps download speed and 200-300 upload yet thats not really what I'm getting when I download.

can you enter into your modem and get your line stats? SNR Margin and Line attenuation.

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0
Vendor ID Code: 4
Line Mode: ADSL2+ Mode
Data Path: Interleaved

Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1181 447
Margin (dB) 13.5 15.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 63.0 43.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 15.0 11.8

yes I am a networking noob but I am talking in Kbps not kBps. The package I got was 1mbps and I'm stuck at 120Kbps when I used to be able to download up to atleast 700Kbps. My friend has Comcast Cable which I used to have and miss so dearly.

I have ran speed tests and this seems to be the consensus from a lot of different tests.
Your download
speed is:
1.002 Mbps

Your upload
speed is:
382 Kbps

I tested the connection on 3 different computers, XP and Vista. I talked to tech support and they have been pretty useless.

your SNR is fine but your Line Attenuation is really high. means the adsl signal strength reaching your home is really low.

I would connect the modem directly to your NID and check the stats again, just to make sure it isn't a problem with your indoor wiring. If it is still low, I suggest contacting your ISP about the issue.

even as ADSL2+, you would only be able to get something like 2mbit on those stats, which is still well below the 700kbps you said you use to get.

your SNR is fine but your Line Attenuation is really high. means the adsl signal strength reaching your home is really low.

I would connect the modem directly to your NID and check the stats again, just to make sure it isn't a problem with your indoor wiring. If it is still low, I suggest contacting your ISP about the issue.

even as ADSL2+, you would only be able to get something like 2mbit on those stats, which is still well below the 700kbps you said you use to get.

ya verizon said everything looks fine on their side and that I should get about 2mbit, I would be fine with 700kbps. I told them to send me an actiontec modem but they said they could only replace the same model and I would have to contact billing if I wanted to. So I'll try out a new modem in 1-2 weeks but what is a NID?

The NID is the same box I was referring to with my recommendation on what to test before spending time on the phone with tech support since it bypasses all your in house lines. If you have a solid fast connection at the NID then the problem is with phone lines in your house.

I'm directly connected to the NID, here are the new stats
Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0
Vendor ID Code: 4
Line Mode: ADSL2+ Mode
Data Path: Interleaved

Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1181 447
Margin (dB) 15.0 15.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 62.5 43.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 15.0 12.1

still slow, a new modem will come in a week or 2, could that possibly fix the lag?

Even at your ideal 1.5Mb/s that's only 188kB/s maximum. With your weak signal I'd say 120kB/s is about right. If you want something faster, you gotta upgrade your connection.

I'm not talking about kBps, I'm talking Kbps and I just got the new DSL modem and I'm still downloading at 120Kbps so it's not the modem, not the NID. I have a high line attenuation which someone pointed out but I don't know what that really means. It just doesn't make sense to me since 4 days ago, that 120Kbps was running atleast 700Kbps

I'm not talking about kBps, I'm talking Kbps and I just got the new DSL modem and I'm still downloading at 120Kbps so it's not the modem, not the NID. I have a high line attenuation which someone pointed out but I don't know what that really means. It just doesn't make sense to me since 4 days ago, that 120Kbps was running atleast 700Kbps

I agree with the above, check out the verizon forum.

Also, get your notation sorted out.

kbps or kb/s = kilobit per second
kBps or kB/s = kilobyte per second
Mbps or Mb/s = megabit per second
MBps or MB/s = megabyte per second

Note that the "k" is not capitalized, whereas "M" for Mega is per standards.

nothing you can do about it except complain to your ISP that there is noise or something occurring on the line which is causing the high line attenuation (emphasizing) you did not have before.

Back