EXTREMELY poor WD74 RAID 0 performance

Tytanium

Limp Gawd
In the recent weeks, I have noticed a general degradation of performance on my system. Tonight, I ran HD Tach to see what the deal was and it ended up giving me a report of 22mb/s read speed and 8.2ms seek time

22MB/S! On 64k stripe RAID0 74gb Raptors!

I've been running Diskeeper Pro for a couple of months now, but I hadn't really noticed anything until recently.

I do have an Nforce 4 Ultra board, but I do not have the SW IDE bus driver installed (tried with and without, no difference)

I've run CHKDSK and boot-time defrag, as well as SiSoft Sandra and none have resulted in any information as to why this would be happening. Any ideas?

drizzt81 said:
could a drive be failing? Take a loot with WD's diagnostic tools
Just tried that, and the tool doesn't recognize the array as a physical volume, only logical.

Update...just ran the tool in DOS mode. No errors, so it leads me to believe it's either an issue with windows or with the RAID drivers used in windows. I've uninstalled, drivercleaned, and reinstalled the NVIDIA chipset drivers (SMBus and Storage drivers only), and it hasn't changed anything. I don't know what happened to the nvraidservice executable, though.

Check Device Manager and look under the RAID controller Properties and find the Command Queuing checkbox and make sure it's disabled. This option might be under the Disk Drives instead, not sure since I don't have the board. Enabling has a crippling effect for NF4 chipsets it seems and is enabled as default. Quite a few people have posted with the same problem. Hopefully this solves it for you as well.

Wow, that really sucks.

I've got two $94 seagate 320gbs in matrix raid 0&1 (500gb/48gb) and I'm getting 410MB/s burst, 160MB/s seq read, ~138MB/s avg. 0-1% cpu utilization, So your setup is way way way off.

But your seek time is pretty good. 8ms is about normal for raid0 10k drive no ? Mine is 12ms.

This happened over weeks ? I'd guess a bum drive too. Sucks that the only way to test is to pull raid apart and test each drive.

Sound like maybe your motors are spinning fine at speed but maybe you've got bad sectors or a head/servo problem.

tuskenraider said:
Check Device Manager and look under the RAID controller Properties and find the Command Queuing checkbox and make sure it's disabled. This option might be under the Disk Drives instead, not sure since I don't have the board. Enabling has a crippling effect for NF4 chipsets it seems and is enabled as default. Quite a few people have posted with the same problem. Hopefully this solves it for you as well.
That was it. Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou.

Back