Extremely high memory usage under XP64...

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
I haven't updated my sig yet, right now I have four gigs of RAM and I'm running XP 64.

Before I play CS, ~800 MB of RAM is in use. Afterward, it's more like 1.2 GB, and I can't find a process in task manager that seems to be hogging the memory. Closing Steam doesn't free it up either. What gives?

Maybe you still have DLL files in memory? Try one of those cache/memory cleaners that unload DLL files.

I couldn't find any good ones - all of the ones I found doing a cursory google were spyware-ish ones that didn't do anything for me. This could be further complicated by the fact that I'm running XP64.

But yeah, I was definately playing CS just now and my RAM usage was like 2.2 GB (my other monitor has a RAM meter on it, so that was with the game maximized). I didn't even have that much RAM when I was using XP32, so something odd is going on here.

Linux needs to come out with some good tablet apps so I can switch both my machines.

Something here is leaking memory and it has nothing to do with CS:S. Last night I booted up and I posted this in another thread:

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
I just tried setting my page file to 16 MB (minimum for XP64 apparently) and upon reboot it was substantially faster but I was greeted with "Your virtual memory is low or at minimum, Windows is making it bigger for you!" Apparently four gigabytes isn't enough for XP64...

Right off boot it's using 752.4 MB of physical and 471.2 of virtual (this is with Opera and a few other things running) - is that odd?

Now I'm at approximately 1 GB physical memory usage and 750 MB virtual memory usage. I went into task manager and summed the memory used by running processes - only 472 MB. If I add to that the nonpaged portion of the kernel memory, it comes to about 525 MB. What is using all of this extra memory?

Back