• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Extremely fine hand-brushing techniques?

finalgt

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 3, 2002
Messages
5,506
This isn't technically a "case" mod in the traditional sense...well, it's for a case, just not a computer case. I'm tired of the fingerprints on the mirror finish on the back of my iPod, and I'm going to brush the back of it. Now, I did this with my first iPod, but I wanted a small amount of mirror finish left on the back...so I masked out a design in electrical tape and then brushed over that, leaving a little design in the polished metal. It looked nice, except around the curves it was obvious that I didn't quite get the Scotchbrite (I'm using that instead of sandpaper so as not to rub off the various laser engravings on the back) to get in there, and there were obvious parts around those curves where it was imprecise.

Is there a better way to do something like this so that I can get the brushed effect even on designs that are relatively precise? Thanks.
 
Not that this is helpful in any way but someone on genmay posted an HP seanjohn mp3 player like the ipod. It was diamond encrusted. Someone find the pic for me.
 
Do you need the brushed texture, or just a surface that is less reflective? If the latter is what you're looking for, try using a mildly abrasive liquid. It'll fill in the entire masked area, all the way to the edges. If you still want a brushed texture, that's going to be harder. I guess the only thing I can suggest is to try using a thinner masking material than electrical tape. Depending on the shape of your design, you might be able to use cellophane, I don't know.
 
Back
Top