Extreme rig from newegg * Please help newbie!!

proprehab

n00b
I have been a long time reader of this forum & now i am building a new machine from scratch, so i figured this is a good time for my first post...all advice appreciated. I prefer to air cool, I am not planning on overclocking, budget is pretty much unlimited (within reason), and use will be for day-trading stocks, online research, downloading from my office, and some gaming (Probably Flight Simulater, Crysis or other fps, maybe some rts)...with that, here's what i had planned:

From Newegg
CASE: Silverstone TJ-07 Black (no window) $299
MOBO: EVGA 680i $249
PSU: PCP&C 1KW-SR $579 (bigger than i prob need, but i wanted some room in case i add a second gpu to run a second monitor)
CPU: QX6700 $999
GPU: EVGA 8800 GTX $569
RAM: Corsair 2 Gb PC2-8500CD5 $371
HD: 2 x Samsung Spinpoint T 500 gb SATA 7200 rpm $279 (for both)
Opt. Dr.: 2 x HP 18x DVD Burner w/ lightscribe (DVD940I) $105 (for both)
UPS: Tripp Lite SU2200XL $735
Zalman CNPS 9700 NT $69
Artic Silver 5 $15
Vista Ultimate Retail $378
Sub-total of:$4656.88

MONITOR: probably the dell 3007 WPF monitor $1150.00 (the Hp 30" looks a little better, but i dont really see the value of spending $1500-$1600 when the Dell can be had for $1150 or so after discounts)
KEYBOARD/MOUSE: i have some logitechs i can use from work until the MS - WED 8000 is released $250

A little over 6K altogether....

one question I have is since Vista is reported to be a memory hog, should i use 4gb ram...newegg has 4gb geil ram (slower rated) for a little more than the Corsair Ram

I am hoping to order this all within the next 3-4 days, so i am looking forward to some feedback....Thanks for taking the time!!!!!!!

For what you want it to do, a E6600 should suffice, as well as a 8800GTS 640MB version. That should shave off 850.00 or so dollars.

EDIT - And from my shoes, while Vista is nice, XP is still current and has less issues (Or so I see it so I stayed with XP). Thats saves another 100 or so.

This will run 2 8800GTX in SLI, can save money with this...
http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S75QB
1KW is MUCH bigger than you need.
These would also work
Seasonic
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817151031
Silverstone
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256009
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256007

I don't get why you're getting such high speed RAM when you're not overclocking. Even DDR2-800 would seem like much, but since price doesn't really matter, I'd bump that down to a quality set of DDR2-800. Something along these lines...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146565
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145034

I'd agree too that something like an e6600 would suffice.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115003
Or if you really want the extra ~200mhz w/o any o/c get the e6700
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115002
Still saves a lot.

The SS Zeus was my second choice of PSU, just with some of these future graphics cards looking like they might use 200w+, i thought the 1KW would be better....even if it almost double the price....or i could buy the Zeus and resell it /upgrade down the road if the need arises...

As for the RAM, the slower choices only save a $100 bucks or so, and i'm looking to keep the computer as fast as possible, even though i will use mostly for work

The CPU, i was having second thought with the $1000 quad core, when I know its going to halve in price over the next few months, and many programs dont use the extra cores yet....maybe i should drop to a E6xxx (one reason i though of staying with the quad was if i was running more than one program at once, or doing a large download surfing the web at the same time, I was hoping that each task could use a different core, keeping up the speed of each task, but im not sure if thats how the seperate cores work)

As for the RAM, the slower choices only save a $100 bucks or so, and i'm looking to keep the computer as fast as possible, even though i will use mostly for work.

If you're not overclocking, the 8500C5 will run at exactly the same speed as the DDR2-800 that moosey linked, although it might run at lower timings. Is $100 worth 1-2% of a performance jump from timings?

Spending $2k now and $2k in two years to buy a new computer is a lot better than dropping $6k at once and expecting the computer to last for 3+ years and still perform well.

(one reason i though of staying with the quad was if i was running more than one program at once, or doing a large download surfing the web at the same time, I was hoping that each task could use a different core, keeping up the speed of each task, but im not sure if thats how the seperate cores work)

The computer being able to handle this task would probably work just as well on a quad core, dual core, and probably single core. This would be more dependent on your internet (network) speeds.
I could be wrong, but d.l and surfing are not something that quad core is going to give you a huge boost (if any)

What other CPU intensive tasks do you have in mind other than DL'ing and surfing simultaneously? It really sounds like you don't need a quad-core, but I just want to make sure.

CASE: Silverstone TJ-07 Black (no window) $299
MOBO: EVGA 680i $249
PSU: Silverstone ST85ZF
CPU: QX6700 $999
GPU: EVGA 8800 GTX $569
RAM: 2gb Pc6400 ram
HD: 2 x Samsung Spinpoint T 500 gb SATA 7200 rpm $279 (for both)
Opt. Dr.: 2 x HP 18x DVD Burner w/ lightscribe (DVD940I) $105 (for both)
Scythe Infinity (cheapest at Jab-tech)
Vista Ultimate OEM

Few changes. A $700 UPS? That's more than my pc :eek:
Vista Ultimate OEM is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than retail, and valid
Silverstone ST85ZF is perfect for your stuff
Corsair PC8500 ram is pretty damn expensive for what you get. You could easily do 4gb PC6400 at that price.

Antimatter, I agree about spending a little now, and upgrading as prices drop & speed improves.....Its just hard for me to figure out from reading reviews and benchmarks exactly how much actual performance improvement i will see in the real world from each piece....5-5-5-15 is greek to me, but $100 for 1%-2% improvement in speed on every task, clisk, or program, when i am going to use the machine all day, probably is worth it....Youre post did make me think of one thing though, if i spend the whole 6k now, i'll probably be very reluctant about upgrading anything for 18+ months, and i could probably get much more performance over the ENTIRE period if i buy cheaper stuff now, and keep it more current by gradually upgrading

ok, just personal opinion on this matter, for what you said you would use it for, it seems like you just want a solid stable platform accross all areas without noticing any slowdowns.

now, what you have planned in your first post, is WAY overdoing it.

for all that you listed, you could buy a similar computer to mine, with some minor changes, and you probably wouldnt notice any difference. (again, for what you have listed you want it to do)

for a monitor though, i would REALLY suggest the westy 37, it has lots of inputs and all around usage for what you want it to do, did i mention its HUGE?

the dell in my mind is paying for the name, for around 999-1100 from certain websites you can get the 37" westinghouse w3 with HD1080p and use it as a computer monitor, movie platform, xbox/ps3/wii platform, or hd television.

my 2 cents, just tryin to help ya save some money

Txhackerz & Enginurd....besides surfing and dl'ing, I use a database program (Goldmine) from time to time, and I will be using remote desktop to work on word/excel files on my office network, but mostly I will be using websites to do research....Real Estate MLS sites, Public property records searching, etc (I know my speeds on these sites will probably be limited by the host computers speed)

I would like to have the machine as fast as possible, so would the quad core give me ANY improvement at all, or not until more programs become multi-threaded...i was hoping to "future proof" a little

my opinion on a quad core, you better be doin some HUGE movie compilations/3d/audio design. the quad core is SUPER overkill and you will not be utilizing it at all if not. a nice core 2 duo would be fine for your applications you will be running. Im running a 4800+x2 dual core (about 4 or 5 months ago i believe it was around 1 grand?) which people think is crap now just because the CPU industry hit a high technology spike. so i spent about 230 bucks for a BAD ASS (i truly mean this, came from a 1.8 ghz p4) and i couldn't be happier with the choice. fact is intel core 2 duo is better than amd's atm so i would go with a mid-range c2d, or the high end if you want to future proof it a little bit. plus all that ram you got i dont think you will be needing either, i could be wrong though, im not too sure what goldmine is. Im using 2GB and i havnt found any reason to go higher for what i use it for.

First of all, you guys are all great..thanks for the help & taking the time...

Bbq, I think I will change the PSU to the ST85ZF......
As far as the Vista OEM, i was just afraid of not having tech support if i needed it, but i suppose i can get better advice/help here if i need it.....so I can cut my Vista cost in half..

The RAM??????? What will be the fastest in the real world...2gb of 8500, 4gb of 6400, or 2gb of 6400................Then, if i go with the 4 gb, G.Skill ($499) or GeIL ($439)

Evanisthecoastie, I think the C2D is looking like the better CPU bang/buck....i passed over the Westy 37" because i am looking for the resolution...i need to have alot of data on the screen at once

In terms of RAM, why not get 4 x 1GB sticks with tighter timings instead of the expensive 2GB which have high latencies?

Have you considered buying a computer from VM, MG, or OPC? You get quality components, quality build, AND quality support. I don't mean to offend you but it seems like this is a new thing for you, feel free to correct me. :)

Everyone in the thread has had good recommendations. I would go mid to high end C2d, 4 GB of DDR2-800 and vista oem. The Zeus PSU is a good choice also.

keep in mind guys, anybody can make a SUPER BAD ASS computer by going to newegg and sorting by price, its not hard at all. READ what hes intending to use it for! he doesnt need such HIGH end components for what he wants to use it for.

Have you considered buying a computer from VM, MG, or OPC? You get quality components, quality build, AND quality support. I don't mean to offend you but it seems like this is a new thing for you, feel free to correct me. :)

No offence taken....I have assembled some lower end machines in the pentium I & II days, but then started buying laptops...this will be my first build of a higher-end machine...but i am a fast learner, and building on my own is part of the enjoyment & makes upgrading easier

Back