• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Extra PCI slots open or closed?

vischo

Gawd
Joined
Jul 27, 2005
Messages
854
What is the everyones opinion on unused PCI slots on your case? Do you leave them open or closed? Why?
 
open or clsoed in what sense? you can not "close" a PCI slot - some bios's have option to not assigign IRQ'sto unused PCI slots.
 
Let me rephrase, the slots being the case slots not unused on the motherboard.

So unused case slots, leave covers on or off?
 
closed on most of my computer cases, but open on one that has the airflow designed to blow out through those holes.
 
Open in my positive pressure case. I like the idea of air being forced out near my video card. No critter issues where I live (thank jebus).
 
I have my 802.11 Super G and Audigy ES cards on the bottom two PCI slots with the rest of the slot covers open, hopefully it helps cool the watt-a-pig graphics card with some extra air flow - there is an intake fan in my case side so that should push some extra air down there.
 
Closed, for sure. Open PCI slots are dust magnets, and they detract from the general airflow of a case. If you need extra airflow for your graphics card, put a blowhole over it.
 
Closed, Tho it dosn't really matter since my sidepannel hasn't been on the PC for like...uh.. 6 months?
 
Closed.... with Modems :rolleyes:

My case came with the damn things integrated. Meaning, you can't put them back in.
 
Closed.....

My sister had her computer in the basement of their rental house.....open pci covers.....I went over to upgrade her cpu and there was a mouse nest inside the running PC! :eek:
 
cartmanea said:
Closed.....

My sister had her computer in the basement of their rental house.....open pci covers.....I went over to upgrade her cpu and there was a mouse nest inside the running PC! :eek:

Can you blame him? If I was a mouse, I'd be all over living in a warm metal house. All them other mice living in a hole in a field must have been jealous!

And yes, closed is better. Otherwise the airflow from low front -> upper rear is screwed up and you'll have dead spots where air doesnt' move well. Probably doesn't make a huge difference, but with the added dust and potential for rodent dwelling, closed is the way to go.
 
I have all of mine open. Temps on my 7800GTXs (especially GPU #1) go up by about 3-5C if i close them, but I have an inverted style case where the PCI slots are at the top.

Essentially if you use a "BTX" style like the V- series form Lian li or the Temjin-06 it would be wise to open them.
 
I understand the airflow argument if you have nice clean wiring and a top exhaust. BUT, since most people tend to have a side exhaust or a monster video card blocking upward airflow at the back of the case, I don't know that a couple open slots is a big deal.

I have 1 open because I lost the cover... yes I'm a bad man :D
 
I have all of mine open, with a 80 mm fan exhausting air out the back. The fan is taped on top of my sound card and below my 6800gt with padding to reduce vibration. Dust isn't a problem when you have air blowing out and you clean the case once a month.
 
QFT


anybody know where i can find some black ones?
if you have any, just paint them.

I had mine open for like 6 months then decided to close them because it looks better. Since I inverted my case, my vid card temperatures did go up a little, but not significantly because of my blowhole.
 
Back
Top