Externet Ethernet Question

flash0222

n00b
I am looking to replace my FIOS modem / Ruter with the Ubiquity lite.

Question tho, currently it's connected via coax, that Verizon ran up the outside of my 2 story house and then through the attic to my office.

I need to replace that cable with ethernet, but the question is do I go through the wall into the garage, and then try to fish ethernet through the house (office is opposite side of house, 1 floor up), or run a cable from the ONT tacked to the coax line up the side, then into the attic.

The line will probably only be outside for 15 feet or so before entering the attic.

I've read about the direct burial ethernet lines, and that's the way I'd go.
The main question is lightning. For such a short run, how likely will it be to pickup a charge from storms?

I REALLY don't want to run a line inside, as this will be an absolute pain, just wondering if other people have done something similar and have feedback?

Thanks
Brad

really hard to tell without seeing the setup... the ONT is outside?

i have a spool of ubiquti toughcable i would use, but i would run as little outside as possible, just for the sake of looks...

you just need something shielded with proper grounding and something that has some kind of UV resistance... i've seen way too many phone installs w/ plain 'ol cat5e go to crap after a few short years, i'd only imagine running data would be 10x worse...

for this i think you would only want to ground the shielding on the outside to the ONT, leave it off on the inside, maybe somebody else can chime in to confirm that...

No need to go w/ direct bury cable, that stuff is usually filled with a powder/gel based water blocking compound and can make a mess over time. Likewise no need for anything with a ground, just get regular old UTP Cat5e. Our FTTH installs at work we run the lines inside 99% of the time, mostly for aesthetics but also for protection from the weather, even though we use UV rated cable but for that short of a run I wouldn't worry about having it exposed outside.

Consider whether you might just run conduit up the side of your house, as it would mitigate any potential weather related issues.

I'll take a pic tonight, but basically, there's already 2-3 cables running straight up the side of the house from the ONT to the roofline (going in under the overhang). It starts about 4ft off the ground, then to the top of the 2nd story, cant be more than 10-15ft.

I guess if it hasn't picked up enough static electricity to fry anything yet, I should be ok (not worried about a direct strike, I reckon that'll fry everything regardless)

PS. it's not near a corner, so to run conduit on the siding would really stick out, so I'm reluctant to go that route.

IMG_20140415_164317_647-XL.jpg

that doesn't really help whatsoever, that's the part that was easy to visualize...

what's behind the ONT/brick? can you run it straight in and go up a wall or into a basement/crawlspace that will get you where you want to go?

do you care that the wires are bundled there like that? if not, just get some UV resistant cable and go for it...

seems kinda jacked up having that outside, but it sounds like that's super common with fios... with our TWC fiber everything's inside... there is a splice outside usually in a buried box, but inside it's another box with a splice in it and a fiber patch cord to the CPE to the copper handoff...

The only unit on the inside is the battery backup (it's in the garage). Basically directly behind the ONT. There's no easy way to get a cable from the inside of the garage to the office. I'd have to run it up to / through the 2nd floor, then into the attic.

No I'm not crazy about the cables there, but I can deal with it. (been living with it for years now).

Just looking to see if anyone else had problems running a cable outside like this, but it sounds like that'll work.

honestly, at my house, I ran plenum-rated Ethernet lines through the ducts from the basement to the second floor. If you can run an ethernet line from the garage to the basement, (If you have one) and from there to the upper floors, that's what I'd do.

Back