Externally Mounting the MCR-220 or MCR-320

BlueCreek

n00b
First question: The MCR-320 radiator is way too long to fit mounted on the back of the P150/SOLO case with a radbox. So are there any other options? Are there any good/silent radiator cases I could use to mount it on top of the case?

Second question: Even if I just go with the smaller MCR-220, the radiator hangs down over the entire right half of all the PCI openings (MCR-220 Mounted w/ Radbox, Back of Antec Solo) and it doesn't look like even with the radbox as a spacer there would be enough space for the monitor cables to the 8800GTS card I'm putting in. Does anyone have an experience externally mounting these 2x120mm radiators and how much space is left for cable access to the PCI/PCI-e slots?

I use a Radbox since my older Lian Li only has 80mm fan mounts on the back. There is enough clearance to connect PCI devices, but it's a bit of a tight fit. Word of warning - I generally have to remove my rad to disconnect/reconnect any cables, but in all fairness it's very quick and not difficult to dismount/remount the rad as it's connected to a separate bracket (the Radbox is actually a two-piece deal).

You could always mount the radbox on top of your pc case, and have the fittings extend over the rear of the case for the tubing. That's how I had mounted my MCR-220 on my old case. Just drill four holes into the top of you case so that you can screw the radbox base plate onto the case. The radbox bracket has 4 screw holes in it already, so that you can attach the MCR-220 to it, then attach the bracket to the base plate.

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear that there is some room, even if it's tight. Might consider that option of mounting on the top as well....hmmm, decisions, decisions. ;)

Back