Externally hacking cell phones

silentwolf

n00b
This is a really odd question for everyone, but I cant find any other group of people who would be able to give me good advice about the topic.

Recently, my brother got his credit card numbers stolen and used. Now, my brother does not give his numbers to anyone. He does not use the internet to buy anything, and does not order anything over the phone. The only time he uses his card is at reputable retailers.

I did a search for other ways people could have their credit card information stolen, given my brothers specific circumstances, and came across this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rQRtjLUuTk

Now, this seems a little far fetched to me, but he does own a cell phone with Bluetooth capability, and told me it was acting strange around the time his credit card numbers were stolen. He would find that Bluetooth, a feature he never uses, would sometimes turn on, without him telling it to.

Just looking for some additional opinions on the subject, and if this is something we should bring to the attention to the local police, and credit card company.

Thoughts?

If his credit card doesn't have a smart chip, I don't see how this is even possible. Even if it does, I have a hard time understanding how it could be picked up by a Bluetooth device.

One thing to keep in mind is that retailers are all susceptible to crackers who try to steal credit card numbers.

how could BT pull info off of a mag strip? BT sonar? Seems far fetched to me, but hey anything is possible(within limitations)

how could BT pull info off of a mag strip? BT sonar? Seems far fetched to me, but hey anything is possible(within limitations)
A lot of things are possible but not plausible. ;)

This is a really odd question for everyone, but I cant find any other group of people who would be able to give me good advice about the topic.

Recently, my brother got his credit card numbers stolen and used. Now, my brother does not give his numbers to anyone. He does not use the internet to buy anything, and does not order anything over the phone. The only time he uses his card is at reputable retailers.

I did a search for other ways people could have their credit card information stolen, given my brothers specific circumstances, and came across this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rQRtjLUuTk

Now, this seems a little far fetched to me, but he does own a cell phone with Bluetooth capability, and told me it was acting strange around the time his credit card numbers were stolen. He would find that Bluetooth, a feature he never uses, would sometimes turn on, without him telling it to.

Just looking for some additional opinions on the subject, and if this is something we should bring to the attention to the local police, and credit card company.

Thoughts?

far more likely the number was stolen from the merchant, from his mail, or just randomly generated. Every couple weeks theres a news story about xx million cc #'s being stolen from some merchant, and thats only the ones they know about.

far more likely the number was stolen from the merchant, from his mail, or just randomly generated. Every couple weeks theres a news story about xx million cc #'s being stolen from some merchant, and thats only the ones they know about.

Yea... I just don't see how it is technically possible to get this through bluetooth.

check this thread for possible ways that the credit card number was stolen.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19620593-Ebook-websites-fraud-charges-DevbillDigitalAgePluto

• Card holders who have only used their cards at brick and mortar establishments, and have never used their card online, end up with a fraud charge from the syndicate. That is significant, in that the only data captured in card present B&M transactions are the card swipe data. That data only includes the cardholders first & last name, the card number, and the expiration date. I have verified that when this crime syndicate charges your card, they not only submit your card number, name, and exp date, but also your full correct address and the 3 digit CVV2 number. Where is that complete data stored if you never made an online purchase with the card?.

Back