External USB Sound Cards and Speakers Systems

TSS Modder

2[H]4U
I currently have an HP zd7000 notebook, and a 2.1 audio setup. I just have a couple questions:

1) Would it be worth upgrading the sound card up from the internal in the lappy (I.E. USB sound card)?

2) What is the best external sound card for the money? There was a really nice one i like reviewed at tomshardware, but evidently, its only sold in Europe.

3) Should I stick w/ a 2.1 setup, or get a 5.1 setup? If a 2.1, then would it be worth upgrading the sound card?

4) What are your recommendations for speakers? As for 2.1, theres a nice set being sold by DreamTwister (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=822461) that he might part out from his PowerMac. For a 5.1, ive been looking at the Logitech X-530 or Logitech Z-640. With a 5.1 I'd need to buy a new external USB sound card.

GodsMadClown said:
Is something wrong with headphones?
Seconded.

And as for whether it's worth upgrading your sound setup? Well, any external soundcard will be another peripheral hanging off your laptop. To me, that's sort of a turn-off. There are smaller solutions worth considering, like the M-Audio Sonica, Echo Indigo io, and Audiotrak OPTOPlay, but they may pay lower dividends than you expected if you don't have a decent source anyways. MP3 below like 192 kbps is not worthwhile, for instance. Also, what is your output going to be? The speakers you are considering lead me to think that you don't need to upgrade your soundcard.

xonik said:
Seconded.

And as for whether it's worth upgrading your sound setup? Well, any external soundcard will be another peripheral hanging off your laptop. To me, that's sort of a turn-off. There are smaller solutions worth considering, like the M-Audio Sonica, Echo Indigo io, and Audiotrak OPTOPlay, but they may pay lower dividends than you expected if you don't have a decent source anyways. MP3 below like 192 kbps is not worthwhile, for instance. Also, what is your output going to be? The speakers you are considering lead me to think that you don't need to upgrade your soundcard.

i'm getting another pair of headphones/mic for when i travel, as little as i do. the logitech precision pc gaming headset. right now i'm looking at upgrading my sound system to a little better than the 30$ 2.1 i currently have now. i have looked at all sides of this, but i need opinions for sound systems and cards. also, i will be buying an external TV tuner soon, and to run the audio into the laptop requires a line in, while my lappy only has a mic input. better sound quality and more audio ports is basically what i'm aiming at.

Sorry I missed you there.

The Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook earns my full recommendation. It is a well rounded PCMCIA card, yet very full-featured and reasonably priced at ~$120 street price. Otherwise, the Echo Indigo io has comparable playback quality (limited to stereo), as well as solid recording abilities. It's a good alternative if you don't like Creative and its products.

Back