External SSD's?

• Thread starter Deleted member 233889
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 233889

Through a series of deals I wound up with an extra Samsung 850 Pro 256gb almost guilt free. It would be really neat if I could turn this guy into a bombproof external storage device coupled with the 10 year Samsung warranty.

Thoughts or recommendations on how best to achieve this noble goal?

Do you NEED to enclose it?

I've had good luck with the USB-->SATA+POWER converter (no external power needed).

~15$ on amazon iirc, and I just keep my SSD in a stack, and plug them in as external drives when needed. Good for moving ifles between friends systems, etc...

Do you NEED to enclose it?

I've had good luck with the USB-->SATA+POWER converter (no external power needed).

~15$ on amazon iirc, and I just keep my SSD in a stack, and plug them in as external drives when needed. Good for moving ifles between friends systems, etc...

I'd like to have it enclosed. I have to transport data outside and in the weather. What did you format the SSD to ensure compatibility between the various OS's and hardware you use?

I'm not found of the micro USB 3.0 on this one:

http://mydigitalssd.com/accessories.php#bpusb3sata

In a similar boat. I've been debating getting the proper security torque driver for my Lacie Rugged Mini external drive, ripping out the spinning HDD, and popping in my spare 256GB 840 EVO. Only thing that has stopped me is my resistance to waste money buying the necessary torque driver.

Tempting though....

I'd like to have it enclosed. I have to transport data outside and in the weather. What did you format the SSD to ensure compatibility between the various OS's and hardware you use?

I'm not found of the micro USB 3.0 on this one:

http://mydigitalssd.com/accessories.php#bpusb3sata

Yeah, that's the same micro usb 3.0 adapter that plugs into the SSD adapter I use too, for USB3.

I didn't do anything special, I use it on Windows machines only, and initially only did it to make mirroring on to a new drive easy but turns out it has a lot more uses like moving data between locations :D fast, and easy.

I don't worry about no case, I have some Heavy Duty cases that I plopthem in if need be. For my workstation I have some desktop eSATA where the drive go in verticaly 3.5 or 2.5, I forget the name but there are numerous of the same 'style' on amazon and newegg, just go for one iwth best reviews if you can handle the ssd w/out a case made to plug in itself.

You'd still want to enclose it to protect from drops or spills right?

Correct. I've been through a couple YT videos for reviews but nothing catches my fancy. Everything seems to be cheap plastic or low quality aluminium. The 850 is a nice drive. I'd like to find a bulletproof enclosure.

i'm thinking about one with thunderbolt uplink

Through a series of deals I wound up with an extra Samsung 850 Pro 256gb almost guilt free. It would be really neat if I could turn this guy into a bombproof external storage device coupled with the 10 year Samsung warranty.

Thoughts or recommendations on how best to achieve this noble goal?

Came today. Outstanding build quality, edges are a tad sharp for my liking. Nice packaging. For $30? I'm incredibly impressed. I'm seeing similar speeds to this review:

http://www.thessdreview.com/our-rev...-0-ssd-enclosure-review-the-ssd-quick-switch/

T4GePF3m.jpg
Wv0rotbm.jpg
RVbtdlAm.jpg
FGSDF2cm.jpg
DeDK9BFm.jpg
EC80deWm.jpg

Back