• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

External SSD

Auraka

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
204
What good options out there for external SSDs either used nvme or 2.5" sata through USB? I currenty have a singe 870EVE through a StarTech USB31CAT3CB, but no good nvme options for older used primary OS drives.
 
Get a USB4 adapter and connect it via the USB4 port (40Gbps). You may need to shuck your external NVMe SSD, though. If you're using 2.5" SATA, then USB3.2 2x2 (20Gbps) should be fast enough.
 
Get a USB4 adapter and connect it via the USB4 port (40Gbps). You may need to shuck your external NVMe SSD, though. If you're using 2.5" SATA, then USB3.2 2x2 (20Gbps) should be fast enough.
Transferring a 5.44GB file (win iso) from my sata backup drive through USBC took about 5 seconds. I'm cool with that.
 
Transferring a 5.44GB file (win iso) from my sata backup drive through USBC took about 5 seconds. I'm cool with that.
I just transferred 700GB's worth of data in a few minutes, yesterday. Slowest speed was 480MB/s, fastest up to 1GB/s. Limiting factor was probably the enclosure I was using, and maybe the NVMe SSD I was using. It's better than waiting overnight for the files to transfer, and waking up to find it only transferred 100GB, and then there was a pop-up you had to deal with. :LOL:

(I use Robocopy now for such things, so that stuff doesn't happen, but I was just being lazy).
 
Back
Top