External SATA for a laptop

cheeta05r

Gawd
Has anyone heard of any laptop manufacture that is going to offer external SATA ports? I know there were some issues with SATA-I not being shielded well enough, conector not robust enough, but I had also heard that they were trying to fix these problems in the SATA-II spec. Anyone have any idea when something like this will come out?

Thanks

Well I doubt they would have have a sata connector on the outside of the laptop. All that would be needed would be a sata to firewire or usb bridge, and then just do like current external hard drives.

cheeta05r said:
Has anyone heard of any laptop manufacture that is going to offer external SATA ports? I know there were some issues with SATA-I not being shielded well enough, conector not robust enough, but I had also heard that they were trying to fix these problems in the SATA-II spec. Anyone have any idea when something like this will come out?

Thanks

I have a dumber question: is the PATA right now in our notebook supporting dual HD drive? I am thinking about adding a splitting cable connector to my notebook so that I could access system PATA with my external HD.

I have seen PCMCIA cards and HDD chassis for external SATA connection.

Card

HDD Chassi

I haven´t seen any test of it, but I figure you´ll need a fairly decent computer to benefit from tha SATA connection.

Vargas said:
I have seen PCMCIA cards and HDD chassis for external SATA connection.

Card

HDD Chassi

I haven´t seen any test of it, but I figure you´ll need a fairly decent computer to benefit from tha SATA connection.

Yea, ive seen that card too, but you still need some sort of an enclosure, you can't just have the drive sitting out, and it needs power too. Either way, there has to be some sort of a bridge, and whether thats in a pcmcia card or in the enclosure, it doesn't matter, but you still need an enclosure. The second link is the easiest route to go anyway.

Back