External PSU's - Maximum Wattage?

JMcQueen

Limp Gawd
My computing needs have changed somewhat and I'm now trying to turn my PC in to a silent media server (plex etc) which is also connected via USB to my home hifi DAC. As part of this I want to reduce the amount of fans in the case and one of them is going to be the PSU.

I'd also like to switch to an external PSU if possible as this would free up space inside the case (ITX) and take the heat aspect away from inside the case.

Using the PSU needs calculator I reckon I need around 350w, does such a thing exist?

What is your system specs?

You may be able to get away with a pico PSU.

What is your system specs?

You may be able to get away with a pico PSU.

i7 7700 (not k)
2x8gb DDR3
4x 8TB 3.5"
2x 2.5 SSD
1x 140mm Noctua ULN
1x 120mm Noctua ULN
Onboard graphics only

Thinking of swapping out the 2.5SSD for an M.2 which should lower the demand a little

I'm just not sure how well the picos handle daisy chaining that many devices. It could be fine, but seems a little sketchy to me.

You have 65watt cpu and probably less than 100 watts in hds, so I don't think the actual power demands are too crazy.

I'm just not sure how well the picos handle daisy chaining that many devices. It could be fine, but seems a little sketchy to me.

You have 65watt cpu and probably less than 100 watts in hds, so I don't think the actual power demands are too crazy.

I've just ordered this:

https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-400w-hi-fi-dc-atx-power-supply-16v-24v-wide-range-voltage-input.html

I'll have to daisy chain off from the SATA to power the fans and the HD's but the load shouldn't be huge.

^^^ was just posting that too. dont forget the adapter, grab both for ~$200

Is there any advantage in using the adapter over an external laptop power brick?
that's what I meant by adapter, as in a/c adapter aka power brick. needs to be 400w+ dont have to buy it from them, might find it cheaper. figured its easier to buy both from them.

Back