• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

External NAS enclosure recommendations?

Perm

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 1, 2004
Messages
82
Hi all,

I have need for a 4-bay NAS enclosure to run a RAID 5 setup. I've scoured this site, tomshardware, newegg... I'm having a difficult time discerning what will suit my needs. I don't have very strict requirements, but most of the ones I'm finding on newegg seem to have common problems like "drops off the network randomly" etc.

Another issue I see is that a lot of the reviews and info I can find seems to be 2-3 years old... I'd think that a lot of these types of network drop issues would be resolved with this technology by now.

Is there a definitive review of current (2011) NAS enclosure models somewhere? Any other recommendations on what to look for? This will be mostly used for media backup/redundancy, so I don't need something that's screaming fast, but reliability is a must. Would be nice if I could hotswap drives, had minimal user interference needed to rebuild a failed drive, etc.

Thank you for any responses.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the replies guys.. the smallnetbuilder site for NAS was pretty much just what I was looking for. :)
 
Back
Top