External IP's from Comcast, are they real?

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
I have Comcast home cable internet and the IP that is assigned to my cable modem is 67.182.x.x is that a real external IP that I can access from elsewhere or is that a fake one?

The reason I am asking is because I cannot seem to access my home router which I setup to be open to external administration.

Any help would be great, thanks!

I would be sure it's real, but like a lot of ISPs you're probably running into the port blocking issue. In order to restrict customers from running "servers", a lot of ISPs will block common ports (80,25) inbound to keep people from trying to run those services.

I would be sure it's real, but like a lot of ISPs you're probably running into the port blocking issue. In order to restrict customers from running "servers", a lot of ISPs will block common ports (80,25) inbound to keep people from trying to run those services.

Weeeeeeee, I need to read on this. Thanks!

67.xxx.xxx.xxx is a valid public IP, as other already mentioned they maybe blocking common server portslike 80,21,110 etc...

I have comcast and run a website on port 80 with no issues. So not sure why you are having the problem you are having, unless you configured a ACL on you router to block.

Most routers let you choose whatever port you want. As already explained above some ISPs block popular ports, 443 being standard HTTPS so it's not too surprising that it's blocked.

If that is the IP assigned to your modem and not your PC, then yes you won't be able to reach it from the internet as it should be filtered on the CMTS via an ACL.

The IP to your pc is not filtered, but both are public IP addresses.

Back