External HDD Issue

Redleader

2[H]4U
I have a Seagate 8TB external that Ive been using for 5 months. Last night I head a usb disconnection on my computer while I was away from it. When I got back to the computer the mouse wouldnt move. I turned off the computer and turned it back on. It wouldn't boot pass the Bios screen. After messing with some different things I disconnected the external and the computer booted fine. Plugged the drive back in and it did not show up. I checked in Device Manager and it shows up there but thats the only location. Tried 3 computers with all the same results. One of the wierd things is anytime this drive is plugged into a computer the computer stops doing everything. It wont boot, will not shut down, will not install programs, ect. But as soon as I unplug it the computer goes fine. What could be doing this? Is there any hope for the data on this drive?

I had a similar issue with a WD 5TB external drive. When plugged in, the computer would become instantly slow and could never identify the partition or mount a drive letter. Unplug it and the PC became responsive again.

Ultimately, the HD inside the enclosure was the culprit and was starting to fail. My warranty replacement arrives tomorrow.

Unless you are prepared to open the case and void the warranty, its a total loss.
Even then, no guarantees.

Your only hope is that the PSU is somehow responsible and another might work.
But a problem as serious as crashing a PC instantly on plug in sounds terminal anyway.

The usb controller is damaged, if it only happens with the hard drive, then its controller on the hard drive.

When I had USB failures like that, the culprit was the power supply's +5Vstandby failing and putting out way too much voltage because USB ports are often powered by the +5Vstandby so the computer can wake up by just moving the mouse or hitting a keyboard button. Even many good power supplies use a cheapo design for the +5Vstandby that includes no protection against excessive voltage, yet when it fails it tends to put out too much, like 7-8 volts, and in my case with an old Antec, 13V. The odd thing is that some USB devices won't be damaged by that.

Back