External HDD for backups

jslater25

Limp Gawd
My parents finally understand my recommendation of taking backups, unfortunately it was after their current HDD failed.

So, now I am responsible for finding an easy solution for their backup needs. I'm thinking that getting an external HDD with the one touch backup software might be wise, but I don't know much about these (I prefer for my personal backups to be performed by me for better control).

What is everyone's recommendations for using an external HDD for backups? Is there a nice package deal that allows me to configure what gets backed up since I've moved some important information out of the My Documents foler?

The computer they will be using will be running Windows Vista until Windows 7 is available in October, if that makes a difference.

My parents finally understand my recommendation of taking backups, unfortunately it was after their current HDD failed.

So, now I am responsible for finding an easy solution for their backup needs. I'm thinking that getting an external HDD with the one touch backup software might be wise, but I don't know much about these (I prefer for my personal backups to be performed by me for better control).

What is everyone's recommendations for using an external HDD for backups? Is there a nice package deal that allows me to configure what gets backed up since I've moved some important information out of the My Documents foler?

The computer they will be using will be running Windows Vista until Windows 7 is available in October, if that makes a difference.

just set them up with an external hard drive.. and tell them to save all their documents in "my documents" then tell em to copy and paste it over to the external drive once a week or something.. (not sure how computer litterate they are)

but the external drives with the automatic backup feature works pretty well though.. but its been about 2 years since i mess with one so im sure they are even better now then they were then..

In Vista and Windows 7, you can move the most of the User folders to another drive. Just right click on the My Documents folder, and choose a new location. That's what I've done with my 1TB Western Digital Green that i put in a esata enclosure.

Back