• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

External HD Questions

Joined
Jan 22, 2007
Messages
5
Hello, I'm looking for a backup external HD for both my MacBook and my Windows PC. I have narrowed it down to a few options and was wondering opinions and other options I might have. Also, how can I tell if this will work with both OSX (Leopard when it comes out), and XP Service Pack 2.

I am looking at buying these two and assembling them:

Enclosure:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2815538&CatId=1204
HD:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2851736

This is the second one I am looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136022

The reason I am more interested in the first one is because it is half the price, after rebates. If you need more information, I'll gladly post more.
 
USB enclosures are pretty standard stuff, so compatability is a non-issue
I'd be more worried about shady tigerdirect rebates than the actual hardware!
 
I know the enclosure will work with the HD, it is the recommended HD for it. I'm more concerned about the HD working with my PC and Mac (I've been told that they might not both work with it). Is that a good hard drive, though?
 
It's a fine drive. It's nothing fast though, a generation old.
I did mean that OS compatability for USB enclosures is not an issue
 
All right, thank you. The enclosure has USB and Firewire on it, but if necessary I can just use USB. What did you mean about the shady rebates, or whatever?
 
Not a good rating by any means... Bah, I liked the idea of $40 for a 250 GB hard drive too... Eh, I can always return it if they mess it up. Thanks for your guys help.
 
I now know what you mean by the rebates. They have it giving me the same rebate twice, and saying I can only have one of them per household, thus canceling one of them out. So now I get to deal with the customer service, and get one sent to my stepdad's house as well, so I can still get the deal.
 
Back
Top