External hard drives and backup software question

tdowning

Gawd
First off, my mom's AMD x64 based computer has a Maxtor One-touch III backup drive, (the 3.5" variety, 250 GB.) It's several years old, and has always made a lot of (fan) noise.

The other day, the noise got a whole lot louder. I took the think apart, and found a 1" fan was indeed the culprit. I've removed the fan and threw out the plastic top and bottom pieces. the steel underneath gets fairly warm, but I'm figuring having it exposed should keep the thing cool enough to remain in service for a little while.

Which brings me to the subject of replacing it. From what I've seen lately, all the pre-assembled external drives I've bought have had some kind of backup software on them.

If you use one of these drive/software combos to back up your Windows XP system

1: what is the drive and software you use?
2: have you ever had to perform a limited restore? Rate from 10=Piece if cake to 1=Royal pain in the @**. (0=unable to restore at all)
3: have you ever had to perform a restore from bare metal? (e.g. your hard drive died so badly that you couldn't clone it to a new drive.) Rate from 10=Piece if cake to 1=Royal pain in the @**. (0=unable to restore at all)
4: would you recommend this software to your computer literate friends?
5: would you recommend it for family members who rely on you to be their tech support?

Thanks in advance all for your help.

Do you want to backup important data, or take an image of the whole drive?

If it is the first situation, use SyncToy. If it is the second, Ghost or Acronis TrueImage will work fine.

Back