External hard drive

dasbas99

n00b
What would be some good models of external hard drives to look at.I will be using this drive to mainly hold videos from 1080p-4k type files.Are there any that can just be used with out needing to install software for it to be used?

None of them need software to run. They often include some small apps such as back-up software or even disk cloning. I usually just fully format the drive and use as I like, or simply delete the included files after warranty is complete if that was what some of the apps were meant for.
The drive does not care how big or small or especially what resolution your video files are. As a back-up task there is no real hard work being done by the drive. Personally I would go for a slow spinning green/eco drive 5200/5400 RPM, cooler running and hopefully longer life, and has a warranty you like and a price you like. You do not need a fast spinning HDD for storing/transferring standard files. I laugh every time I see pricey WD Black HDD's. I mean why?

Seagate and western digital have some nice externals for fairly cheap. Costco or best buy if you want them local.

8TB for $149.99 for the hub model which has additional USB ports:
https://www.costco.com/seagate-8tb-...data-recovery-services.product.100983571.html

Amazon has them too, with or without the hub feature just search for Seagate one touch hub:
Seagate One Touch Hub 8TB External Hard Drive Desktop HDD – USB-C and USB 3.0 port, for Computer Workstation PC Laptop Mac, 4 Months Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan (STLC8000400) https://a.co/d/ckgu94b

My buddy has the hub model, I have the smaller 5tb portable non-hub version, it's smaller and very portable. Both working great!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Seagate and western digital have some nice externals for fairly cheap. Costco or best buy if you want them local.

8TB for $149.99 for the hub model which has additional USB ports:
https://www.costco.com/seagate-8tb-...data-recovery-services.product.100983571.html

Amazon has them too, with or without the hub feature just search for Seagate one touch hub:
Seagate One Touch Hub 8TB External Hard Drive Desktop HDD – USB-C and USB 3.0 port, for Computer Workstation PC Laptop Mac, 4 Months Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan (STLC8000400) https://a.co/d/ckgu94b

My buddy has the hub model, I have the smaller 5tb portable non-hub version, it's smaller and very portable. Both working great!
I wonder if any of these drives are worth shucking.

I wonder if any of these drives are worth shucking.
It seems that a lot of the smaller than 10TB external drives may be of the SMR type and not CMR.
CMR is the preferred drive type especially if you are running an array or replacing files since SMR has much lower write speeds when re-writing data.

For strictly external use, I currently use a couple of Seagate 8TB Expansion drives and 8TB Western Digital Black D10 drives.
IMG_2177.JPEG

Would this be better than

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...water-resistant-black/6501714.p?skuId=6501714

I need a quick storage drive for music to plug into my raspberry PI4/pi2aes

Which would be faster ? Limited to USB 3.0
they would both be about the same speed, just that one is ruggedized and $40 more. your call but ssds dont really need it except for the waterproofing...
ps: the sabrent caddy i linked is usb 3.2 gen 1, i have one and i get the max speed of whatever drive i put in it.

Ahh 2 conflicting opinion !

I like saving $40 I'm also never going to have more than USB 3.0 on my pi4's but it's going to be all reads once I load them/it up..

they would both be about the same speed, just that one is ruggedized and $40 more. your call but ssds dont really need it except for the waterproofing...
ps: the sabrent caddy i linked is usb 3.2 gen 1, i have one and i get the max speed of whatever drive i put in it.

Is the clear case more flimsy than the black one on the sabrent caddy ?

Caddys are great. I used my 5TB seagate portable for streaming movies from on a emby server just fine too though.

Yeah shucking isn't worth it until 10TB+ usually, and only if the drive is on a big sale. I'd rather have the warranty if it's only $10 difference.

I assume he meant Kyle of HardOCP of this forums' origin.

Not sure that they are that bad compared to the no-name stuff littering the market now, but I've had good luck with Sabrent for one. Some of those no-name USB to SATA have been fine too, powered or not. If not powered though you're limited, I'd only do 2.5in SSDs.

This drive is $66.99 right now straight from SP, I hate amazon with a passion but I ordered the sabrent enclosure and some socks to get free shipping lol Thanks for the heads-up inside of $80 for 2TB SSD essentially external/portable is nice.

This drive is $66.99 right now straight from SP, I hate amazon with a passion but I ordered the sabrent enclosure and some socks to get free shipping lol Thanks for the heads-up inside of $80 for 2TB SSD essentially external/portable is nice.
SP ??? I thought I knew all the online stores.

Back