External Hard Drive That will Last

65Kfosta

Weaksauce
Im looking for some recomendations on a External Hard drive that will last, it seems according to the amazon.com reviews that the new western digital mybooks are terrible.

I need something with at least 500gb and im wondering if the build your own is a better route sense most of the current models are prone to failure.

Thanks

according to customer reviews on most websites, all products ever made will spell doom and ruin for humanity, kick your dog, impregnate your underage teenage daughter, and are absolutely going to explode the second you get them unpacked, so keep that in mind

as far as external disks go, I personally think they're silly, but can understand a need for them in certain situations, I'd probably DIY it because spending $200 for a 500GB drive is just bad, find a cheap enclosure on Newegg or Geeks and go for it, otherwise just get something that seems to fit your needs, I've seen about the same failure rate among external disks as I have internal disks from Seagate, WD, and Maxtor - nothing has a 0% failure rate, however most consumers seem to believe that not only should this be reality, but that if their device does fail, its the result of some plot by the "evil multi-national" to "hurt" them

I like the build your own route. I prefer to be able to choose what drive I'm using in the enclosure, and the drives are typically much easier to change than with the pre-built units.

you can always use a usb to serial adapter and connect from your usb to a hard drive

i did that to connect to my raptor when one of my builds was down so I could access the data

I agree that a DIY HD enclosure is the way to go. Just make sure you get one that has USB 2.0 and eSATA; it will give you a lot more flexibility. Also, check for what type of controller it has if you think you might need a drive above 1 TB. Most of the controllers out there right now don't support drives larger than a terabyte.

the point was exaggeration, and thats still a ridiculous price for 500GB of storage
Oops. Didn't realize it. Fair enough point I suppose. I'm in a similar situation to the op. I've been looking at firewire options for speed but the usb ones seem much more stable for pc users. Esata would be nice.

I got a tiny samsung 640gb for $100 from newegg and it has been running very very nicely.. also it's tiny.

I wouldn't believe most of the reviews that you read as not so many post reviews when they have a fully functioning product.

I threw one of my old 250 GB Western Digitals into a Macally external. It's been running 24/7 for over a year and it's still in excellent shape.

Back