External Hard Drive help

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 24, 2004
Messages
7,004
Ok my dads work is able to hook me up with a external hard drive and not internal. From what I understand, a external hard drive is the same as a internal hard drive that uses SATA or IDE except it has a case around it, and uses USB 2.0 on the back, that goes into the SATA and IDE connector. So what I plan on doing, is getting the external hard drive and remove the case, and then install it in my new computer im putting together. So if I am right, what would be good choice to get that uses a SATA connector? Something with 16mb of cache would be nice. I am right, right?
 
External hard disks are regular drives in an enclosure, they're IDE (not SATA) and hook up to a computer via USB. As far as I know, there's no such thing as a SATA external enclosure.
 
There are actually e-sata drive enclosures ;)

Seems like a waste to get an external to gut and use internally but yeah, you can do it. I dont know what kind of choice you'll get drive wise going that way.
 
Back
Top