External hard drive dead?

Happybelly

n00b
I have a Seagate Goflex 2TB external hard drive. I was gaming and my computer crashed forcing me to restart, when I did, the external drive was no longer recognized in Windows 7. I tried restarting the hard drive, but no luck. I finally noticed a very faint clicking sound from the drive, now I've had drives click on me before, but they're usually a lot louder than this.

Anyway, is it unusual for a drive to completely die and not even be recognized without showing any signs of failure first? I accessed files off of the drive daily with no issues whatsoever.

Thanks for any suggestions.

It not unusual at all for a drive to just up and die with no signs of immient failure. In fact, I would be willing to bet that it was the drive dying that caused the computer to crash

It not unusual at all for a drive to just up and die with no signs of immient failure. In fact, I would be willing to bet that it was the drive dying that caused the computer to crash

Interesting. Since the drive isn't even recognized anymore, I'm basically screwed as far as recovering any data unless I want to use one of those expensive data recovery services, correct?

I had an external that died and was clicking, put the drive internal and was fine. Turns out the power supply flaked out.

Yea, I've had more than one power supply for my external drives crash before, or even the internal power board croak, but the brick and HDD were fine. Slap it inside and see what happens, or if you have a SATA to USB thingy use that.

Give it a good testing, doesn't mean it wasn't bad, just means its getting cleaner power. It still could go out.

Give it a good testing, doesn't mean it wasn't bad, just means its getting cleaner power. It still could go out.

I ran the tests that you can get from Seagate's site and it passed. Is there a better test program I should use as well?

Back