• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

External Enclosure with Power Management?

Skud

Gawd
Joined
Sep 4, 2002
Messages
587
I'm looking for an external enclosure that supports Power Management (i.e. It allows the drive to spin down).

I'm going to be putting a 500 or 750 GB drive in it and it will be hooked to my server with my RAID array so that I can schedule nightly backups of some selected data.

The enclosure needs to:

1) Have a fan
2) Have at least USB 2.0
3) Allow the drive to spin down when not in use
4) Have an internal SATA connection.

There are a couple of units on Newegg that satisfy #1, #2 and #4, but I can't find anything about #3.

Little help?

Thanks!!
Riley
 
I don't think you're going to find one. The logic behind external disks is that they are either portable or used for backup. In either case, they are only on when needed, so a power-down system is not included.

You might look at e-sata. I'm not sure, but I would assume that it would support power management, since to my knowledge, it's just a different packaging of the standard sata interface.
 
External drives often have a power switch though, so, there's potential for manual power mgmt :D
 
Back
Top