• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

External Drives and Gaming

Joined
Jan 16, 2005
Messages
945
I'm looking for a new HDD for my laptop, and after my head asploding at the price of internal laptop HDDs, I decided maybe an external HDD would be in order. However, after seeing some of THOSE prices, I thought maybe it'd be a better idea just to get an internal 3.5" HDD , case it, and plug it in. However, since I'm a flaming retard, I thought I'd better ask you guys first:

1. Is it even feasible to use an external HDD for gaming (i.e. installing games on the external HDD and playing them from it)?

2. What's a good, cost-effective external case for said HDD?

3. Right now I'm sticking with IDE, because I'm still confused as to the whole SATA/PATA thing. Does SATA/PATA make that much of a difference?

4. Since I'm using this on a laptop (specifically a maxed-out Dell Inspiron E1505 purchased at the recommendations of over a hundred [H]ard|Forumers), and thus have no eSATA capabilities, are there any external shell cases for HDDs with high transfer rates (USB2.0 High-Speed, FireWire 800)?

Those who help out will be rewarded in internets.
 
problem is if you go for USB external drives the performance wioll suck ass royally!

so unless you use some add-in SATA or eSATA card and external drive, it wont do much good.
 
Red Machine D said:
I'm looking for a new HDD for my laptop, and after my head asploding at the price of internal laptop HDDs, I decided maybe an external HDD would be in order. However, after seeing some of THOSE prices, I thought maybe it'd be a better idea just to get an internal 3.5" HDD , case it, and plug it in. However, since I'm a flaming retard, I thought I'd better ask you guys first:

1. Is it even feasible to use an external HDD for gaming (i.e. installing games on the external HDD and playing them from it)? No

2. What's a good, cost-effective external case for said HDD? Go with a 160GB 2.5" laptop drive for speed. External may be more cost effective, but performance will suck.

3. Right now I'm sticking with IDE, because I'm still confused as to the whole SATA/PATA thing. Does SATA/PATA make that much of a difference? IDE=PATA. SATA has more bandwidth to the controller, so performance is a bit better.

4. Since I'm using this on a laptop (specifically a maxed-out Dell Inspiron E1505 purchased at the recommendations of over a hundred [H]ard|Forumers), and thus have no eSATA capabilities, are there any external shell cases for HDDs with high transfer rates (USB2.0 High-Speed, FireWire 800)?

Those who help out will be rewarded in internets.

I hope I was able to help out a bit. I'm not 100% sure on my answers, but I think I have those right.
 
Back
Top