External cooling - great overkill chassis?

urbsnspices

[H]ard|Gawd
Right now I run an AC pump on a relay, along with a rather large heat exchanger all crammed in my case. I want to clean things but I also want to plan for the future. I am also prolly due for a new system some time in the next year. So I am thinking about going to an external cooling loop. Space isnt a concern. I was thinking about converting an old rack mount case, until I saw this thing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Heatcraft-Bohn-Evaporator-TA13BG-Flare-220V-60-HZ_W0QQitemZ320071152483QQihZ011QQcategoryZ40118QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Its big, but not huge. It comes with a nice heat exchanger. It looks like you could fit a big pump inside the chassis. The fans are 210, but I am sure they are loud as hell anyway. So Id be replacing those anyway. The other downside is that it looks like the rad input and output are both in the rear.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Would there not be a problem with condensation?

No, it's just a big radiator effectively with 2 big fans on it, nothing more, nothing less. Coldest it'll get the coolant is the temp of the air being blown thru it.

One thing to note is total length of the tube within... and how many U-turns it does (ie: LOTS)... may need to invest in a pump either side of it to maintain good flow rates basically - all depends how bothered about flow you are...

Yeah, it wont get any cooler then ambient. But with a good size pump your cooling overhead will be fantastic. 700-1000GPH would be a minimum.

I was trying to figure out what to do on the fan side of things. At first I was thinking of getting large DC fans as a direct replacement for the 220v ones. It would work but better/cheaper solution might be to mount 3-4 controlled fans directly on inside face of the rad. Then I go back and ask why buy a chassis with large fan ports unless you are going to use them...

Back