• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

External CD drive for ripping...or not?

6sigma

n00b
Joined
Sep 11, 2011
Messages
2
With 1400 CD's to rip, I need the latest wisdom. I've got a couple of laptops. Is there a make/model of external CD drive that is best for ripping those CD's? Would I be better off with a desktop PC set aside for ripping. If so, which internal CD drive will handle the job?

[Note: If I can find setup guides, I'll be using either EAC or dBpoweramp for the ripping to uncompressed FLAC files.]

Thanks.
 
Well back in the day, plextor used to be king of the ripping. I think any of them today, LG, Lite-On, Plextor, etc... Will do just fine.
 
Thanks. Those brand names had come to mind, but I thought perhaps specs or speeds might call for something unique when ripping on an external CD drive "thru" a laptop to an external hard drive.
 
Buy the full size ones because the laptop sized ones are slow.

Also buy a bunch and one of each brand. Because when you come across CDs that are scratched and are using a secure ripping program, sometimes when one drive can't do the job, a different drive can.

And for this job the more the merrier.

Glad to see you're ripping to FLAC and using a secure ripper like dBpoweramp or EAC that checks and verifies the tracks against others in a database to make sure they are perfect. Especially with that many discs, since you only want to do the job once.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top