External audio solution for old laptop

jhwk6957

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
146
I have an old IBM Thinkpad t43 from like 2005 with not so great onboard audio. since the laptop is really showing its age when it comes to doing daily tasks I think I will just end up getting a new laptop and using the Thinkpad as something that I will hook up to the speakers in my garage. I am looking for an external solution to upgrade the audio on the laptop. any suggestions? I am currently looking at this: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Soundblaster-Surround-System-SB1095/dp/B0044DEDCA I would prefer to spend less than $60. Also these are the speakers I have: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SC-...7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1309540098&sr=1-7 Would upgrading the audio even be worth it? What other options do I have?
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
that sound card isnt compatible with your speakers in 5.1, only in stereo. you need a sound card that can output 5.1 through spidf.
 
I have an old IBM Thinkpad t43 from like 2005 with not so great onboard audio. since the laptop is really showing its age when it comes to doing daily tasks I think I will just end up getting a new laptop and using the Thinkpad as something that I will hook up to the speakers in my garage. I am looking for an external solution to upgrade the audio on the laptop. any suggestions? I am currently looking at this: http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Soundblaster-Surround-System-SB1095/dp/B0044DEDCA I would prefer to spend less than $60. Also these are the speakers I have: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SC-...7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1309540098&sr=1-7 Would upgrading the audio even be worth it? What other options do I have?

Yes, using a USB sound card is a good idea. However, define what you mean by its slow in daily tasks. EDIT: I saw your sig, a Pentium M isn't too fast these days.

The USB X-Fi you linked will work great.

that sound card isnt compatible with your speakers in 5.1, only in stereo. you need a sound card that can output 5.1 through spidf.

The linked device supports Dolby Digital Live!.


Mr. Wolf, does the OPs receiver even support 6 channel analog input? Most HTiB sets I've come across do not.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top