• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Exteremly Slow Internal Transfer Speeds

Ecitsuj

n00b
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
12
Currently trying to copy some movies that I have saved on my harddrive from 1 Internal Drive to another. I am getting speeds of 915 KB a second in Windows 7 Pro. This is on several different files over the course of several months it has been like this. When the file first starts copying the transfer speeds are very fast. Then it hits a brick wall. Currently a 2.24 GB file has an estimated wait time of 15 minutes to copy. The harddrives are:

500 GB Seagate ST3500320AS (Files stored here originally)
1 Terabyte Western Digital WD1001FALS-00J7B0 (Files copied here)

The Computer is running Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit, has 6 GB of RAM, E8400 @ 4GHZ.

Anyone have any advice here? Besides the slow transfer speeds everything seems perfect. I can watch HD movies from the Harddrive no problem (in fact I can open a couple and they don't seem choppy at all). Their doesn't seem to be any other issues besides the slow transfer times. If it matters the 1 Terabyte HD has 175 GB free of 931. I don't think that would be cause for the slow performance.
 
I know XP changed one of my drives to PIO b/c of CRC errors (i.e. cable had gotten loose). After that shit, I changed all of my cables to right angles + latch, so there's no way it's moving anymore.
Also there's usually tons of entries in Eventvwr saying as much, so check both C7 Smart Data and Eventviewer.

*I'm on 7 64-bit now, but since I've been on latched cables since that incident, I haven't seen any more CRC errors.
 
Both drives have been defragged, none are in PIO mode (Both say they are using DMA 5).

I am copying a 6.5 GB file right now. Windows reported that it was transferring when I first started it at 70 MB a second. This lasted for about 20 seconds. As of right now it is transferring at 2.35 MB a second and says there is an hour left. Is it possible it is because of how full the drive is? That makes no sense to me.
 
Is it possible it is because of how full the drive is?

No.

Please run CrystalDiskInfo on each drive and tell me if either of them do not have Good status.
 
Doing a standard HDtune benchmark may also be useful, since it circumvents the filesystem. If you do not see higher performance than 16MB/s combined with high CPU load, then you may well have a PIO issue. Note that CPU load goes per core since it's only using one of your cores.
 
Installed CrystalDisckInfo both drives say Good under health status.

Also I noticed copying off the terabyte harddrive to the other harddrive I average around 60 MB a second.
 
That is obviously good. Try looking at the HD tune results as sub.mesa said.
 
What chipset is controlling the drives? How are they connected? And how is the BIOS configured for them? AHCI or IDE mode? What other devices are in the machine, could there be interrupt conflicts?

How fast does it copy a file onto the same drive? As in, just make a duplicate of a file. Does it slow down the same way when on just one drive?
 
Looks like the problem was an Old Soundcard that I never took out of the system. I removed it and transfer speeds hold steady between 90 MB to over 100 MB a second.
 
Back
Top