extending existing cat5e (plenum) wiring

AP2

[H]ard|Gawd
hello,

currently the plenum cat5e is about 24" to short to reach the area where my rack and patch panel is. is there a way to extend the current wires as pulling in new wiring is not a option?

thanks in advance.

RJ45 coupler + patch cable (as long as you need).
Obviously new drops are best because you're running end to end rather than adding a mid-point and another cable, but in a pinch it'll do the job. I'd definitely recommend testing everything up front before you grab the ladder though....save yourself a headache. ;)

Scotchlocks!

but no seriously a 110 panel or Cat5 rated couplers should work perfectly fine.

http://deepsurplus.com/HOME/Etherne...AT-5E-Junction-Box-110-Punch-down-Style-White

Technically not supposed to use them per TIA/EIA specs, but I have used them without any issues for cabling that was in finished walls but needed to be extended to a new IDF location.

Using one of those on a line is no different than a patch panel + cable so long as it is terminated right. About a year ago I had to do 48 of them as one part of building had to be puled out of the closet it was in, and re-terminated in a different closet. It was a pain to do, but it was better than running 48 massively long runs.

Using one of those on a line is no different than a patch panel + cable so long as it is terminated right.

Keep telling yourself that. Maybe you should start your own standards organization built on your experience.
$$$

Last edited:
Back