Extended desktop issues

Vittra

Gawd
Hey all. I've noticed a few oddities upon switching back to the nVidia camp that occur both on my GTX 580 and a GTX 680 that I had for about a month, and I'm hoping someone can shed some light in regards to what is going on.

My secondary display, a TV, is connected via HDMI on my card through my receiver, a Pioneer Elite SC-05. This is on Windows 7 x64. The problem persists on both the 296.10 and current 301.24 nVidia drivers that I've been using. These are the issues I am experiencing:

1) Enabling an extended display through the regular windows display settings does nothing, and leaves my TV with a black screen. Using the nVidia control panel I can get it to work, but I must apply the settings 2 - 3 times for anything to properly display on the TV. Audio does work immediately, and the TV is not actively "seeking" a signal, so it does believe something is being displayed despite it being black.

2) Settings are not saved. If I disable the extended desktop to run in single display mode on my monitor, and attempt to re-enable extended at any point afterward, I must move again move it's position and reapply the setting 2-3 times for anything to display.

As an extension of this, if I restart the computer with the receiver and TV on and my computer in extended display mode, it reverts to the default setting which is choosing my TV as the main display and monitor as the "extended" portion, but once again the TV displays nothing until I am able to re-apply the correct settings in the nVidia control panel. In this situation, this becomes a bit of an annoyance as Monitor ends up as the extended portion and it's attempting to display the nVidia control panel on my TV which has no signal :D.

On my 6950 I experienced none of these issues, so I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. Has anyone dealt with this in the past and have any idea what's going on?

my guess is that the receiver is probably trying to use its own settings for HDMI which is why it's not displaying anything. so when you apply the settings a couple times it finally reverts to what graphic card is telling it to display instead of what the receiver wants to display. you can also double check if its the receiver thats being the pain in the ass or the TV by directly connecting to the tv instead of the receiver. at least then it'll give you an idea of what could be the issue.

as far as the boot issue goes.. if you turn off the receiver it should automatically(well it should be sometimes it doesn't work so test it first) revert back to single display and move everything back to your primary display. doing it this way should also keep the settings saved instead of manually disabling extended display which will remove the settings. my dual displays use to do the same thing with putting the boot screen on my left monitor but my login screen on my right monitor.

Thanks for the response sirmonkey1985. The receiver is indeed the culprit, when I connect directly to the TV it works smoothly. I wonder if this has something to do with EDIDs?

You're right in that the settings are saved if I turn off the receiver. Unfortunately when I turn the TV and receiver back on it displays the black screen again until I re-apply settings, and my receiver has the tendency to pick up on the extended display and activate it even if I'm on an alternate HDMI input (regular TV viewing) which I do not want.

I may try some different nVidia drivers at some point to see if they fare any better, otherwise I may just have to deal with it. :D

I have a pioneer receiver that I run my audio and video through and I know that if I reboot my machine, I have a much better chance of picking up the signal for audio and video if I have the receiver set to that input. When I reboot and it is on another input, half of the time it doesn't pick it up correctly.

You might try the guys over in the HTPC forum on [H] as well. They may have some good advice for you too.

Back