Extend wireless range?

nutkase

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been pondering what to do with my wireless network, and I was wondering if I could get some input on my problem... I have a Linksys WRT54G setup in the center of my house, and most of my computers get decent reception anywhere in the house. The only problem is the room that is right on the edge of my house; I get a signal, however it goes in and out. I'd like to extend the range/reach of my WiFi network so that the connection is more reliable.

I have an old DLink AP900+ which supports repeating, but I wasn't sure how well repeating would work.

My other options I suppose would be to either buy a new antenna or two, or buy a second WRT54 ... I'd love to opt for the later, however even at ~$40 it's a little more than I'd like to spend if my AP900+ will do the job just as well ...

So any input? Should I use the repeater I have or would I see better results from either an antenna upgrade or a second WRT54?

Thanks,

-nutkase

Why is it people ask questions about something that all they have to do is try it themselves? You said you have the AP. WTF? Try it and see if it helps your situation. Jesus.

However, repeating with another vendor's product might not work. Not sure if the WRT is WDS or not but I doubt your AP is. Buuuutttt...... all you have to do is try it.

ktwebb said:
Why is it people ask questions about something that all they have to do is try it themselves? You said you have the AP. WTF? Try it and see if it helps your situation. Jesus.

However, repeating with another vendor's product might not work. Not sure if the WRT is WDS or not but I doubt your AP is. Buuuutttt...... all you have to do is try it.

Sorry to disturb you Mr. PMS...

I've been playing with my DLink AP and it hasn't been working to well ... but I don't have the cash to just go buy another WRT and try it without knowing if it's a good idea...

I was simply looking to see what others had to say about my situation, a simple, "I have no idea" would have been fine, or better yet, don't post at all. I've been posting here longer than you have, and I'm always as helpful as I can be; if I can't help someone, I either suggest something, or just move on to another post - you're not obligated to flame someone if you think they're an idiot ... we don't all have time to sit around and try this and that, so I thought I'd ask people who might have tried it before so I can benefit from their experiences instead of wasting time on something that won't work.

BTW, the WRT does support WDS ... It's not that I haven't done my research, I was just looking for input ...

-nutkase

I can't see the dlink and linksys working together... NOW if you had a dlink router, you'd be ready to go.... I am personally using a DI-624 router, and DWL-G800AP repeater with good success...

QJ

First, let me just say that forum rules stricly prohibit the discussion of illegal activities. So I must emphatically insist that you do not perform a Google search for hacked firmware versions for your router. Even though your particular router is the most common model available, is based on an embedded Linux kernal that Linksys released publicly, and has several different versions of hacked firmware available which will allow you to increase the transmit power, I must insist that you not use one of them. The transmit power is set in firmware at the factory, and any attempt to increase it will:
  1. be illegal
  2. void your warranty
  3. shorten the life of your router
Sure, you could reason that others have cranked up the transmit power quite a bit and not had the unit fail. And yeah, the only way you'd get caught is if you turned the power up so much that it interfered with something in your neighbor's house, and he/she called the FCC, and they came with a power meter. But I must point out that it would still be illegal, and therefore you must not do it!
Mmm-kay?

I don't know if you are trying to be serious... but I find this reply very funny.... :D :D

QJ

O[H]-Zone said:
First, let me just say that forum rules stricly prohibit the discussion of illegal activities. So I must emphatically insist that you do not perform a Google search for hacked firmware versions for your router. Even though your particular router is the most common model available, is based on an embedded Linux kernal that Linksys released publicly, and has several different versions of hacked firmware available which will allow you to increase the transmit power, I must insist that you not use one of them. The transmit power is set in firmware at the factory, and any attempt to increase it will:
  1. be illegal
  2. void your warranty
Sure, you could reason that others have cranked up the transmit power quite a bit and not had the unit fail. And yeah, the only way you'd get caught is if you turned the power up so much that it interfered with something in your neighbor's house, and he/she called the FCC, and they came with a power meter. But I must point out that it would still be illegal, and therefore you must not do it!
Mmm-kay?

It doesn't sound like you have tried some 3rd party firmware. That should help increase the range a little bit.

O[H]-Zone said:
  1. be illegal
  2. void your warranty
Mmm-kay?

Hahaha, nice reply. With the stock antennas, it's not even near the FCC limit for power output cranked all the way with the sveasoft firmware anyways.

Well 3rd Party Firmware often has options to increase the Transmit Power. Hyper-WRT defaults at 50, and goes as high as 85. Forgot the symbol at the end of it, but I did remember the number :-P.

DD-WRT Firmware, lets you crank it up to 100 something. I have mine set at 85, and all my computers now get "Very Good" Signal. Yay.

A directional, or even omni-directional antenna would help alot as well. I've seen directionals in the 12db range, and i've seen omni's in the 8db range. You can get a cheap one for under $20. I haven't done a ton of research, so I'm sure there's MUCH more powerful versions out there. Your standard out of the box antenna has a power of what... 2? Getting a higher gain antenna will be a huge help. Put it on your machine though, not the AP, or else you might be boosting your signal to the point where the whole neighborhood can get at your AP.

O[H]-Zone said:
But I must point out that it would still be illegal, and therefore you must not do it!
Mmm-kay?
Somehow I feel queazy that I actually question the sarcasm in that post (there are intense ppl out there), but ....

it's only illegal in the sense that you are modifying a part 15 device which, AFAIK, isn't illegal in a practical sense.

Changing your firmware - not illegal (until Linksys uses DRM)

Increasing your broadcast power - not illegal unless you surpass 4 watts effective or 1 watt total (completely impossible with these radios).

sandmanx said:
Hahaha, nice reply. With the stock antennas, it's not even near the FCC limit for power output cranked all the way with the sveasoft firmware anyways.
Oh! I did not know this...I figured the manufacturers would skirt the limit. Well heck, get yourself a hacked firmware and crank up the transmit power then!

O[H]-Zone said:
Oh! I did not know this...I figured the manufacturers would skirt the limit. Well heck, get yourself a hacked firmware and crank up the transmit power then!

No they are not near the limit. The only reason they limit them this way is for stability purposes I would say... I've played with a few and some will boost higher than others... highest I've seen stable is around 80mw... some will only do like 60ish...

FYI, hawking sells a 500mw booster(ten times stock linksys) that is 100% legel and can be bought for like, $75

QJ

I havent really found increasing the power does much for making the signal go further. I tried it without success to get a better wireless signal in my daughter's bedroom which is only about 50 feet away from the router. Didn't really help.

I tried a Linksys Range Expander (Walmart sells them, as do others) and never could get it to talk to the WRT54GS with Sveasoft's firmware. After getting frustrated with the lack of support from Sveasoft (Which is what you're supposedly paying for when you subscribe to their firmware program), I went and bought one of the Belkin Pre-N routers.

This thing rocks! Every spot in my home gets excellent signal strength and you can even get good signal strength outside the house up to about 100 feet away. Granted I had to sacrifice a few features when I switched routers but it wasnt anything I couldnt work around.

Good luck!

My WRT54G is set at the max 251mw setting at the moment, once I have time to actually configure things I plan to drop it down to 80-85mw which is still many times stronger than the 24mw it was origanally.

Before switching firmwares my tablet had many issues with the wireless and would mysteriously drop connections every 20 minutes. With the Sveasoft's firmware I no longer have that problem.

~Kris

WAP54G, go to AP Mode, set as repeater, insert the mac address of your WRT54G. Set AP within good signal range of WRT54G and smile.

I set up a wireless network the other day, one WRT54G router and 4 WAP54G AP's in repeater mode. The WAP54G can repeat a repeated signal, so you can just string them in line. There is a bandwidth drop, but I don't have hard numbers yet.

Back